• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1031 owner chiming in

liftmeup

I have a M1031 and want to swap out the maintance bed for a pickup bed . Am I crazy ??? its handy to have the gen/compressor and all but I never use that stuff. I would just get a 1008 but I really like the front diff/205 I have with this unit. What would you do?

MARCO1031

I say set it up the way you like it. I have seen a few nice pickup beds for sale on this site and I would imagine there is someone out there that would really like that SECM body. Is the body the one with the PTO powered gen?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will so trade you the bed off my 1008 and even deliver it to you AND help you make the switch. I have been wanting a 1031 for a long time, I would use the heck out of it.

here's my 1008 and you can see what I use it for...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/35196-railroad-m1008.html

I'm a volunteer at a local non-profit railroad museum. I would love to have the SECM body and gen/compressor to help me maintain stuff.

Last edited:

84cucv1ton

not crazy all. i agree. make it how you like. try selling it. i have 2 m1031 bodys to sell one off a truck one on. will have 2 more soon. the m1031 my father has leaks all the time. i myself like the bed. thats why i ended up with the bodys. a friend of mine just scraped a bunch of them. said he got good money since there are all alumminum.

acmunro

I'd be willing to make a trade, I have some nice regular pickup beds and such. I really need the throttle actuator for the generator. I got a M1031 that is missing one. I like the M1031 body it is very handy for me. Probably overkill for a lot of people. Make it your own.

liftmeup

yeah I think I may do that and I sure do not need the pto stuff with the bed gone. Heck I almost considered selling the whole body and swapping a silverado body over so I can have me some AC and power windows :-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just sounding off here. I have the older SECM on a Dodge M880. I'm tired of the rust, manual steering and other problems with the Dodge so I'm getting an M1008. The whole reason I wanted the M1008 was to put the SECM on it. Now that this is all coming together I'm having serious second thoughts about losing the pickup bed. I just can't keep both trucks so I think I've come up with a solution. I'm going to put the SECM on a 3/4 ton trailer chassis. This is the SECM with the gas powered welder so no PTO needed, just need a few parts for the welder.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Shawn. Looks like the M101A1 I brought over to Marco, may end up in the classifieds. If interested, let me know!

MARCO1031

Thanks. Like just about everyone we are watching our $$$ so I may have to wait on that until after school starts.

liftmeup...if you do the swap would you be interested in selling the PTO gearbox? I can think of a few ways I might be able to use it on my truck.

Dang, why is it everyone is always on the other side of the country? I'd love to find a 1031 out here, or even just the SECM box, but they don't seem to show up much in the Southwest.

liftmeup

Well.... If you make the right offer I would go back to driving the 72 and sell you the whole truck. fly out drive it home. its 100% reliable and would drive it anywhere. That a tuff call though on my part I do love this truck.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M1031 and want to swap out the maintance bed for a pickup bed . Am I crazy ??? its handy to have the gen/compressor and all but I never use that stuff. I would just get a 1008 but I really like the front diff/205 I have with this unit. What would you do?
I did the swap although my first one was minus all the good stuff except the Onan engine, and that was missing parts. I drive a newer K3500 dually Utility every day, didn't need another one but wanted a pickup instead, thus I have a M1028a1 instead of a M1031.. Relatively easy swap. some before and after pics. (should have kept the M1009 but oh well)

Attachments

ABN173

I would not do it, I would just buy a M1008 off of auction. The M1031's are just cool to have, besides they are great trail vehicles for convoy's/rallys.....well besides having a wrecker that is.

I have a M1008 now but looking to add a M1031 to my collection.

-Dale

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks