• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1078 PTO Question

ramdough

If you buy a pto for you are safe in the 40hp unit range for what your trucks are doing. Even a wrecker. 47hp can run a twin stack 20gpm pump at 2500pei. It will even do 3250. Twin stack is two 20gal a min pump together

Buyers products makes a 50gpm pump which is overkill but only costs $260 and as big as a ham sandwich. Noone needs that speed though.

I recommend not going thru the stock wire harness for pto operation. Leave the activation solenoid as it's own stand alone system. This allows you to bypass the high idle. This is handy for pulls where you would rather run the winch slow for safety or for other reasons like a side guide winch recovery. This also allows you to use the pto while in gear but not recommended.

There are constant engagement pto units available like those found on garbage and fire trucks are available if you wanted to go that route.

I would hope those who added a pto and are planning on going overland that you add a diverter valve and add a twin hose setup much like the FLU419. Hydraulic tools like a chainsaw, porta power can run on 9gpm. The hydraulic 250 stick welder requires around 20gpm and doubles as a spare power source . Even leveling outriggers could be run. This would eliminate the need to carry a bottle jack.

I love hydraulics
Tell me more about this diverted valve option. I was thinking it would be fun to have a log splitter attachment on disconnects, but having long leveling rams would be nice Too.

I am seriously thinking of independently wiring mine. Mine is not wired yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
M
Tell me more about this diverted valve option. I was thinking it would be fun to have a log splitter attachment on disconnects, but having long leveling rams would be nice Too.

I am seriously thinking of independently wiring mine. Mine is not wired yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simple control valve. Some are on neutral on spring loaded like a log spliter has. Some are not spring loaded. some are a complete row of valves much like the crane control. Hydraulic fluid flows thru the whole valve whatever handle you lock on is what is getting fluid. Otherwise fluid bypasses back to the tank when nothing is being used and the pto is running

Diverter in red. Control valve in yellow.

Attachments

Last edited:

In2Fords

It's not really a "better / worse" kind of thing. It really depends on a bunch of other factors, such as...
  • How much do you care about it being original (either for historical reasons, or just that the ridiculously overbuilt nature of it will match the character of the truck)?
  • How much experience do you have setting up PTO hydraulic equipment?
  • How much free time do you have, and what is your time worth to you? Even at "several days to remove and reinstall" the OEM winch is already all figured out (e.g. correct length and size of lines, propper amount of fluid, custom tank bracket that just bolts in place, etc.). How long is it going to take you to figure all that stuff out, make the custom mounts, etc.? If you want to get to the same result, it's already done.
  • How much do you want to stray from the OEM winch? If you want changes, that would cause you to have to custom make and figure stuff out, then it's more and more tempting to start from scratch.
  • Do you want it new, or do you care if it's 20 years old?
  • Many more...
Only you can really know the answer to these.

On the Sherpas, they are really a different kind of thing. Those are emergency recovery equipment used for short-duration stuff, while the hydraulic winches are 100% duty cycle work horses. It's analagous to asking "Do you think it's ok to have one of those little donut spare tires for your car, or do you want a fullsize spare?"
Thank you for the reply.
In honesty if I buy the truck I'll try to pull the parts and install them at a much later date.... my time is very limited currently.

I've had lifted trucks, xj Cherokee that I swapped in a 4.6 stroker/ Ford np435/ Atlas transfer/d44 rear d30 front on 35's with only 4"lift, lots of cutting and new wheel wells..... i did winches front and rear on that.

I've worked tow recovery, I'm used to operating winches, pto's, electric, even manual!

I was in the Marines for a good amount of time, I've done recovery of lmtv's, 5 tons and HMMWV .

I've never installed them but I get the basic idea.

As far as my current truck, I am installing a 5th wheel camper in the bed, originality isn't a concern. I'll never be out rock crawling, forest service roads at worst, I'm not flipping this thing on its side, worst case is I'm on soft sand and can't get traction.

Having PTO hydro really fills my overkill desires, but I'm not sure I need it, and it seems to be added maintenence point....

Getting it basically free is the only reason for my dilemma.

Thanks for your input

coachgeo

I don't think an engine-driven hydraulic pump would work, because I don't think belts could handle the amount of power being put to it....
belts replaced timing "chains" long time ago... aka.... agree an alternator type belt would not cut it. Maybe two belts would. though? or change to different pulley and belt type such as toothed belt like for timing belts? or even a chain if it is more cost effective.

then tranny is happy... no issues/conflicts. You can spin wheels to kick out mud from tires... and winch at same time too. We know our trucks love wet soft terra firma :tank: ;)

Green Mountain Boys

"agree an alternator type belt would not cut it. Maybe two belts would. though? or change to different pulley and belt type such as toothed belt like for timing belts?"

I have a 12" Morbark wood chipper powered by a Ford 300 cubic inch stationary industrial motor. The motor turns a shaft with 5 belts on a single sheeve. Those belts turn the cutting disk which is a solid 2" thick by 3 foot diameter steel wheel with 4 knives bolted in pockets. The motor runs at 2500 rpm and it can chip up to a 12" diameter log at 60 feet per minute. I am not sure of the horse power rating of the motor. It is naturally aspirated. If you could fit a multi-belt sheeve I am sure you could find a way to handle the necessary power.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
belts replaced timing "chains" long time ago... aka.... agree an alternator type belt would not cut it. Maybe two belts would. though? or change to different pulley and belt type such as toothed belt like for timing belts? or even a chain if it is more cost effective.

then tranny is happy... no issues/conflicts. You can spin wheels to kick out mud from tires... and winch at same time too. We know our trucks love wet soft terra firma :tank: ;)
My overall guess is that there are smart people who are paid a lot of money to think about this stuff all day. If it worked better some other way (e.g. belts, chains, etc.) they would have done it by now so they could make a bunch of money off it. I bet there is a good reason they don't do it that, not just because they haven't tried it yet.

coachgeo

My overall guess is that there are smart people who are paid a lot of money to think about this stuff all day. If it worked better some other way (e.g. belts, chains, etc.) they would have done it by now so they could make a bunch of money off it. I bet there is a good reason they don't do it that, not just because they haven't tried it yet.
the FMTV's were never spec-ed to have an aux. power unit... so of course was not explored to put a hydraulic pump on one. At same time a big rig APU (where mine came from) was also never spec-ed to have a hydraulic pump so of course that has not been explored either.

so yep... am on my own there. but in theory...why not.. tractors run hydraulic pumps off crankshaft pulleys, others run hydraulic pumps off elec. motors etc. so why not off an apu.. in theory it is all the same. just got to find out if there is enough horse power in the apu first. might not be??

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Belt driven pumps are designed for constant use systems. Like the unimogs and their loaders.

They produce 2500 psi just like a PTO. The belt driven pump can increase volume and pressure by using smaller pulleys or bigger crank pulley

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks