• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1078 Roof Rack

Boisemed

I'm trying to find a roof cargo rack for the M1078 which I can also attach lighting. I have read a bunch of threads where people have made their own, are there any ready made racks out there that would work that anyone has successfully used? If so how were they mounted? Links? thanks

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been looking too, but haven't found one yet unfortunately. The LMTV's cab is literally feet wider, and feet shorter, than any vehicle you'd typically put a roof rack on. One thought I had is to find a rack that can fit rotated 90° (so that the long measurement for an SUV becomes the width on the LMTV). If done that way, we'd have to be careful of wind noise / whistling.

If you find something, please share.

Masspilot

Good luck finding on you are better off getting with a welding shop and have the Fab one up for you. With all the modifications you will have to make to like a tule or Yakima rack it will probably end up being the same price as making your own

Duckworthe

That's why I made my own. 1. I got exactly what I wanted, not what someone wanted to sell me. 2. it was cheaper to build it, then to have a company one off a rack. Not that Yakama or the others couldn't. Its just that they have to pay there designers, stop a run of other racks, and of course cover it with liability insurance so when it bends or fails the customer doesn't get sue happy against them. That's one reason they build a rack that has worked and then just keep selling the same type over and over with very little variance. They buy extruded aluminum in bulk so they could just cut longer pieces. I would find a home welder and have them build you something for beer money! My 2cents

coachgeo

Crazy but have thought about doing my roof rack and side ladder in wood. Sorta like Fiberglass sail boats and some motor boats when they first came out long ago had all that glass accented with wood accessories. But thinking more of fake wood decking material trimmed nicely. Maybe not...... just brain farting out loud.

weldergq692000

That's why I made my own. 1. I got exactly what I wanted, not what someone wanted to sell me. 2. it was cheaper to build it, then to have a company one off a rack. Not that Yakama or the others couldn't. Its just that they have to pay there designers, stop a run of other racks, and of course cover it with liability insurance so when it bends or fails the customer doesn't get sue happy against them. That's one reason they build a rack that has worked and then just keep selling the same type over and over with very little variance. They buy extruded aluminum in bulk so they could just cut longer pieces. I would find a home welder and have them build you something for beer money! My 2cents
Can you post your drawings and measurements of your rack? It looks great.

Reworked LMTV

Crazy but have thought about doing my roof rack and side ladder in wood. Sorta like Fiberglass sail boats and some motor boats when they first came out long ago had all that glass accented with wood accessories. But thinking more of fake wood decking material trimmed nicely. Maybe not...... just brain farting out loud.
You could do this with the West system Epoxy.

jtcawrse

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have the actual dimensions of the cab roof? I’m brainstorming a rack and root top tent combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks