• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1083A1 - Brakes do only half release, ABS light is on!

AKAustria

No, I dont think we came to the same conclusion... From what you have posted, I concluded that you DO need to dig into the air actuator and you DO need to pull the wedge because I dont think you have yet seen that forward shoe move and it should move...:) look at any of the other brake shoes from the axle side of the tire, easilly observed as they dont have covers, while someone steps on the brakes. Front or rear, both shoes move on mine...
OK! I GOT IT! Sorry for the confusion, I think my brain just got locked up in believing one thing and.. well..:???:

Work has been rather ‘hectic’ lately and I am dying to get back into it and to finally resolve this issue for once and for all.

Also, I am still in the ‘tool-collection’ and parts ordering process so I will be as ready as I can be before taking things apart.

AKAustria

Problem solved!!!!! - Driving it! - DMV does not give me license plates!

Yesterday was a good day fellas!

After one year of having all kinds of hurdles, I have been driving it down the road!
It feels GREAT!
Thanks to every single one of you guys to keep coming up with solutions, ideas and knowledge - I really very much appreciate it!

Here is what happened to be the problem!

While going step-by-step through the TM troubleshooting tree, I noticed that one brake pad was not having the same edge as the other, rear facing one.
Remember, the front facing brake pad was not releasing.
It turned out to be installed the wrong way, with the “Adjuster end” on the wrong side. (I should have taken a picture but got way too excited).
What triggered the closer look was the fact that I couldn’t get the brake drum back on, it did bind up.
Decided to pull the right front wheel off as well, lone and behold, both brake pads were installed wrong. Flipped them, adjusted the play, drum back on and both wheels were easy to rotate by hand!
Tightened all the air line fittings... DONE!!!!

I can’t tell you guys how exciting it was to finally move this truck under it’s own power around the yard, down the driveway and on the road... no license plates, so I stayed on the gravel side roads and pulled over when a car was approaching. (I know, I know...)

Over all, I am super happy and have this huge urge to do all kind of things to it!

Jumped in my truck, drove to the DMV with my title and registration to get license plates - NOPE! The lady at the counter said “Stewart & Stevensons” are military vehicles and we can NOT give you license plates!

I love you my 1083A1, not so much the DMV :sad:

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Waaay back in post #11, Ronmar advised you to check that the shoes were installed correctly, just a little friendly reminder, it will save you much aggravation next time if you check these pointers out as they are posted here.

AKAustria

Waaay back in post #11, Ronmar advised you to check that the shoes were installed correctly, just a little friendly reminder, it will save you much aggravation next time if you check these pointers out as they are posted here.
YES! You are absolutely correct. Thanks to Ronmar, that was something I looked at as well. I am not attempting to pretend this was my doing at all. I have gotten it going only because of this forum and the members contributing to it.
Ronmar’s comment was just as valuable and turned out to be the main contributing factor to solving this!
Please understand that I had to go somewhat systematic by approaching the issue. Not knowing anything about them, lot’s of things made no sense, some did.
Getting the TM’s was a also crucial part of attacking the problem.
Please understand that I am thankful and credit not only Ronmar, but also every other member taking the time to make an input as what the issue could be, which had close to 40 replies.

I am sorry if my post was leading one to believe I had this solved on my own. That was certainly NOT the case.

Once again - Thank you all for giving me so many, valuable inputs!

And now, back to the DMV to win the battle for getting a license plate...

AKAustria

Clean looking truck !
Thank you! But trust me, you can’t look very close. That’s about as save of a distance to be at ;)

Door handles broken off on both sides
CTIS disconnected and most likely not working
ABS light on
No front lights
Broken Front Windshield
All three left side tires loosing air slowly
circuit breakers keep popping randomly
etc...

But I still love this thing! It drives, and it drives well!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks