• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10bolt rears for 1008

choll

I know call me nuts but I can't best the price. I just purchased a 1008 that has no axles,I have access to a set of the military 10 bolts front and rear, are the 10 bolts a direct bolt up to the truck. Springs are on the truck. Just going to use this truck to tow my boat, beats backing my new truck into the water every week.

Chuck

AJMBLAZER

No.

The rear leaf spring mounts are in different places on the 1 ton trucks than the half tons and 3/4 ton trucks. They would have to be moved.
The truck used larger u-joints in the driveshaft as well. Not sure on the brake hose.

Frankly I wouldn't want to tow anything larger than a small rowboat on a small trailer with a 3.08 geared, 28-spline axle 10 bolt.

Elwenil

Well he did ask if it would bolt it and just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should. I agree with AJM though, 10 bolt rears aren't very strong and I wouldn't want the weight of the diesel on the relatively weak front axle out of a half ton. I did the opposite, swapping Dana 60s in my 1/2 ton Ramcharger and there are a few things to change in addition to the axles. The U-joints AJM covered and then you would most likely have to change the master cylinder and brake booster. The brake system was designed for much larger calipers and wheel cylinders and would make for some very touchy brakes with the smaller half ton stuff.

AJMBLAZER

No he wouldn't, the 1 tons had different spacing on the spring perches. Then there's all of the brake issues Elwinil mentioned.

Could they be made to fit? Sure. Would it involve swapping parts, cutting torches, grinders, and welders? Yep.

For that much work he might as well go find a set of 3/4 ton axles and have a better setup from the get go.

AJMBLAZER

3/4 ton axles could be made to work and would survive if all it was doing was driving around and not hard wheeling or running huge tires.

There's almost always someone selling a set of 3/4 ton axles over on www.ColoradoK5.com and on local 4x4 forums.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
AJMBLAZER said:
No he wouldn't, the 1 tons had different spacing on the spring perches. Then there's all of the brake issues Elwinil mentioned.

Could they be made to fit? Sure. Would it involve swapping parts, cutting torches, grinders, and welders? Yep.

For that much work he might as well go find a set of 3/4 ton axles and have a better setup from the get go.
Ditto

I just went through this, I wanted to take the 14 bolt out of my 1008 parts truck and put in my 78 K10 1/2 ton, the spring pads/springs mounts on the 1008 are about 2-3" closer together than the 1/2 ton stuff. I ended up buying a 14 bolt diff from a scrap yard out of a 3/4 ton suburban for 300.00, you have to measure the distance between the pads on the donor axle and make sure it matches the distance between the springs on the 1008
also, the shocks/shock mounts on the 1008 are inside the frame rail and reversed on the axle, passenger side shock mount is on the rear of the axle driver side is on the front, on the 1/2 tons they are on the outside of the frame rail and driverside is on the back, pass on the front.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks