• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10kw genset powering plasma cutter??

shadow

I am hoping to make a portable unit using my 10kw genset and Hydrovane compressor and a Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter I’m getting. I don’t know if I can power the stuff with the genset. I know the compressor is 220v but I don’t remember the phase. The plasma cutter shows powers of:

[The following Link Diagrams for 208/230/460, 230/460/
575, and 220/380/500 volt transformers are shown below.
For 380/415/460, 380/460/500, and 180/200/220]

I am not an electrician and I am totally confused reading all the numbers. The 10kw genset is MEP-018A. It states:

The Model MEP-018A generator is 60 hertz. The voltage rating is120/240 and 120, 1 phase and 120/20 8 and 120, 3 phase to voltage ratings. The amperage is 3 phase connection load current, 34.7 amperes per line, 1 phase connection load current, 104 amperes and 52 amperes load current on 240 volt connection.

The plasma cutter manual states:

80 kVA, 50/60 Hertz, three-phase in the following
standard voltage/amperage combinations:

(It then shows a chart)
Input voltage: 208
Amperage: 320

It then lists:

Rated Output
400 amperes, DC Straight Polarity at 200 volts

Current Control
50 to 400 amps continuously adjusted
Feedback control circuit stabilizes cutting current

Control Circuit
24 volt AC

How do I figure out the amp output of the genset?? If I’m reading right, the plasma cutter needs 320amps and 208volts. Or is the 320amps referring to output at the 208volts input? :confused: I am so lost right now.

The compressor has to run at the same time as the cutter so I can't switch back and forth. I only have one genset. :mrgreen:

Can anybody shed some light on if the 10kw genset will work.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What are you cutting to need 320 amps of cutting power!? I have a plasma cutter rated at 40 amps and it works nice. You sure you got all the specs right?

shadow

The 320 amps are where I'm confused. If it's suppose to produce up to 400amps, I don't understand why it needs 320amps input. Looking at the chart, the highest amp is 370 with 180volts. The lowest is 115amps at 575volts. Yet the paragraph above the chart says 80kva 50/60herts. :confused:

I was really hoping the stuff I have could work together. I didn't know there were gas compressors. That would work nice but I wonder on the cost of one. I have a Hydrovane compressor that my parents bought in the late 1980's. We used it for a lot of stuff including sand/plastic media blasting. I have to find out its specs but it puts out a lot of volume of air. We could run the blasters, breathing equipment, and any air tools all at the same time and had plenty of pressure to spare.

The plasma cutter is a Thermal Dynamics PAK 45. The manual says it is able to cut up to 3 inch thick metals. It is at the Rock Island Arsenal. There were a lot of big items that went for just pennies on the dollar. I am hoping the unit doesn’t need very much to get it working. I assume, like all items I get at auction, that it is not working right now. It would be nice if it is in working order. I always wanted a plasma cutter and I won the bid on it so we were thinking, why not make a portable cutting unit. I figured I could work up to getting the deuce M275 tractor fixed up and use one of my dry van trailers cut down and make a crane platform on it for lifting stuff and make the cutter portable so far from the trailer and hire myself out for anyone that needs work done on site. I also picked up a Van Norman model 26 power table vertical mill that is 220v 3 phase and a Mig welder so I am slowly collecting items that could work together.

What size military genset would output around 350 amps I might need? I could maybe reserve my 10kw for the mill and compressor and get something else for the cutter. I kind of have a military theme going so I will stick to military items if I can. (Military truck. Cutter, and welder used at military facility. Military genset):mrgreen:

jasonjc

You would need like a 80,000 watt gen to run the cutter alone. The 10kw gen mite run the compressor but never the cutter.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Before jumping into the deep end, I would get the cutter and see if it works. There is ALOT of other expense involved with them. There will be a CFM rating you will have to satisfy, it will have to be DRY air, as you will burn through many tips if it isn't. The consumables, tips swirl rings etc will have to be sourced. Might be better off selling that unit and getting one with less power. As much as I hate to say that, it might be too impractical in the long run.

In looking at the specs, it seems it is geared toward cutting 2-3 inch thick steel. Also looks like it is designed to use Nitrogen or CO2, not "just an air compressor". It certainly IS bad azz.

Last edited:

shadow

I have a chiller and dryer from our set up when we did the blasting. Everything is still hooked up in the shop; all I have to do is disconnect everything.

The manual talks like you can do up to 2” fast, and then up to 3” at a slower speed with a different gun attachment. I know it talked about different gases but then I found a little note that stated:

(A typical 50 lb. CO2 cylinder is capable of delivering 35 scfh on a continuous basis. Therefore, the manifolding of several CO2 cylinders may be necessary to obtain the required torch flow rate, depending on application and duty cycle.):shock:

The listing of gases are:
5. Plasma Gas:
• Nitrogen (N2)
Pressure: 20 - 40 psi (1.4 - 2.8 bar) Flow: 30 - 100 scfh (14 - 47 lpm)
scfh = standard cubic feet per hour
• Argon/Hydrogen (ArH2)
Pressure: 40 psi (2.8 bar) Flow: 100 scfh (4.7 lpm)
6. Secondary Gas:
• Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
Pressure: 40 psi (2.8 bar) Flow: 270 scfh (95 lpm)
• Compressed Air
Pressure: 40 psi (2.8 bar) Flow: 270 scfh (95 lpm)
7. Secondary Water (H2O):
Flow: 15 gph (56 lph)

If I remember right, don’t you divide scfh by 60 to get cfm? I can’t remember.

Of course I had no time to research the machine before the bidding ended. I found the airgas site and figured out what I wanted to pay for the machine and did win it. I have always wanted a plasma cutter so I figured "go for it". I am not so sure now seeing that the scfh’s are so high. I don’t want to run multiple bottles.

I probably couldn’t sell it because no one would want it with spec requirements so high. I could probably use it as a shop unit but was hoping on a mobile setup.

I guess I have a few screws loose using something like this on a mobile setup.:cookoo::mrgreen:

dc3coyote

I would love that cutter, but man your gonna need some serious toys. In my years of welding, shipfitting, and fabrication work I have never used a three inch piece of metal, except for the occasional milling project.
but with that said I am sure monday I will have a project waiting for me on my bench at work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks