• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10W Non-detergent oil as lubricant in the fuel

Kharville

Anyone have any thoughts on using "non-detergent" 10W new motor oil instead of 2-cycle for the added lubrication to diesel fuel in the Deuce? The reason I ask it that a local store has the 10W and 20W for less than 2-cycle oil and diesel fuel for that matter. Serious sale I guess. (e.g. $2/gallon)

Does the "non-detergent" part mean anything?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have any thoughts on using "non-detergent" 10W new motor oil instead of 2-cycle for the added lubrication to diesel fuel in the Deuce? The reason I ask it that a local store has the 10W and 20W for less than 2-cycle oil and diesel fuel for that matter. Serious sale I guess. (e.g. $2/gallon)

Dont tell the government it’s cheaper than fuel, they’ll start dying it red...

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

Take the truck and clean out all that oil on sale at 2 bucks a gallon. It comes in all its own storage containers! And post where you got it within the SS rules too, Please

162tcat

Tractor supply is the store. Bought 40 gallons of 10w and 20w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be OK for mild climates, but it seriously decreases the "pour point" in winter conditions. For instance, anything colder then 0*F, one better be using straight #1 fuel, or risk fuel jelling. Of course, there are all kinds of variations & blends, & whats still in the tank, because you didn't use it all last summer. Thorough mixing is a must too (easier said then done). But being caught with jelled up fuel, isn't worth the heartburn to me. Its also possible to go from the warm West Coast, over the mountains Eastward, into serious winter conditions on one tank of fuel, and be in trouble with jelling.

snowtrac nome

Might be OK for mild climates, but it seriously decreases the "pour point" in winter conditions. For instance, anything colder then 0*F, one better be using straight #1 fuel, or risk fuel jelling. Of course, there are all kinds of variations & blends, & whats still in the tank, because you didn't use it all last summer. Thorough mixing is a must too (easier said then done). But being caught with jelled up fuel, isn't worth the heartburn to me. Its also possible to go from the warm West Coast, over the mountains Eastward, into serious winter conditions on one tank of fuel, and be in trouble with jelling.
Rosco where you are at you know all about cold. I have been at donley dome and seen -45, oil leaks on engines with 15w40 looked like they were leaking honey at that temp. Its been mild out here on the west coast this year with lots of snow.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I can understand trying to save a few bucks on fuel, but some of us need to be more vigellant then those living in the banana belt. Just keep in mind what your doing with the fuel. For instance I left Washington State once headed back here, with a Dodge Cummins & a jockey tank full of their "out of the Pump" fuel. When I got to Teslin Lake, BC, it was -50*F, & my jockey tank was jelled & would't pump. I was able to get good BC winter fuel & was OK for the rest of the trip.