• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

11.00 Michelin XL vs Goodyear G177

eagle4g63

Ok, so I am in the market soon to change over my tires.....I had a deuce on 395's and this one is on the factory 9.00's. I don't want to go to the large singles again so NO OPINIONS NEEDED on THOSE size tires.

I am ONLY interested in the 2 tread patterns listed and in 11.00 size......I am going to be keeping the duels in the rear also. I have read the problems with the G177's in the rear and don't need any info on that either. I am interested in the opinions of guys that have them on there trucks in this fashion........also would love to hear from anyone who has use of both types of tires on the SAME truck........a 5 ton with one kind and a 2 1/2 on another isn't going to handle the same anyway.

I am interested in a tire that would be good off roading, however I do drive my truck everyday and need the tire to also last (main reason to NOT do 395's again)......I also live up here where I see snow and need the tire to perform well with that.

I know the G177's should last longer than the XL's but enough to make it worth a trade of when off roading.........if there is a trade off.....that's one of the things I am trying to find out.

Thanks in advance for anyone's opinion.

phil2968

You realize there are 3 tread types in the 11.00's. You left out the Firestone tires. My Michelin tires ride much smoother than the NDTs. I like duals on the rear also.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I run the dualed XL's on my cargo duce and love them, added 4-5mph and lowered the rpm without bogging going through the flint hills, my buddy has the singled G177 on his and after doing the front end shims loves them and they wear like iron. I swapped my XM818 from NDCC to the G177's and it improved the ride greatly. We have only had light snow so far this year so don't have any feed back for that. G177 do seam to pick up the small stones but after you get rolling out they go!
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/album.php?albumid=110&attachmentid=389588

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife put G177's on her M109, and dualed the rear. We haven't had any issues with rubbing on the rear duals, (of course the m109 doesn't get as crazy off road or loaded very heavy) and no issues with the front either.

We have put probably 10k miles on the tires, and they still look new. Rides so much better too. the few times we've had it in some real slop the G177's worked way better than the old NDT's did.

I highly recommend the G177's for all around road ride, good off road, and longevity.

eagle4g63

I am aware of the speed gain, again my last deuce had the 395 XML's on it.........loved the top speed. I know there are other tire designs out there, the main reason I am considering the 2 that I listed is the price........right now surplus is really letting the G177's run cheap........$100 each range......xl's are there also, but a little harder to still find at that price.........I am sure I will have to go with yet another style of tire in a few more years when something else is hitting the surplus.

I just don't know if the G177's are a tire worth the work........don't have to due anything to the truck for the xl's. I have seen Sparkys truck with them on it at haspin.....no one that I remember with the G177's. I also don't want to go through the time to get the Xl's and have to find more before the summer is up cause I rode the poo out of them on the road, if they wear that fast.......don't know, that is why I am asking.

In the year and 8 months that I had my other deuce, I put just over 20,000 miles on it.........just to give an idea of how much i drive my truck.........but I also do take it off road so like said need a tire to perform.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
???? What is the problem with the G177's on the rears? Drop me a note on this.

I have been pleased with the operation of the 177's on Squirt, and they are very good in off-road conditions, and have plenty of load capacity.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you were at Haspin during the June rally, Angie's M109 was the gray one.

If they wear the way we are seeing for the life of the tire, I would say 50-60k miles is a conservative estimate of lifespan.

Squirt, I've heard some guys say that the rear tires will rub the pinion cap, and that the front needs shims to ride right. We just put the tires on and fooled around with the pressures some, and are extremely happy with the results, 0 work to the truck to run the tires. Well, I did put new shocks on the front while I was at it but other than that, nothing. They were plug and play with ours. If your rear axles are walking sideways due to loose dogbones or worn parts, that would be a reason for the larger tires to start rubbing.

sandcobra164

I've got Firestones dualed in the rear and they rub the pinion cap bolt heads slightly but not enough to be concerned. They're shiny so as long as I drive the truck regularly, they'll never rust!!!

eagle4g63

Yeah, I was there.........I know Angies 109......didn't know you had them on there then ( went back and looked at my pics.......how I missed that I don't know)

Figured someone would say get both.......would love to........think the wife would be a little po'ed though.

And the work is as Adam said............and my luck, I would have to do it......although this truck is like NEW.........I mean NEEEWWW under neath.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro is spot on about the good wear. 50K miles is what I am looking for.Clearance is not an issue for Squirt, but you cannot run inner rear chains. I thought there was some other issue., the tread contact patch is significantly wider on the 177.

RangerDave

I went with 10.00x20 G177's all the way round with a spare - a compromise. I also run the truck loaded with logs off road on dirt roads and have buried the truck on more than a few occasions due to soft conditions.... work fine in the mud. I wanted a commercial grade tire that would take a beating for virtually the life of the truck ( well my life at least). I keep the rear duals aired up to 100 psi and no rubbing issues at all. But the front experienced the "wobble" with the initial higher psi, but a consult with the TM about proper front tire inflation solved that issue. I noted that with higher inflation = easier turning but more road noise transmitted to the steering wheel. Lower tire pressure = less road noise transmitted to the steering wheel, but harder turning of the wheel....

Csm Davis

Okay I have had both on 5tons and deuces, I prefer the 177's to me the ride is not much different if any and the wear on 177's is unbeaten by any military tire. I also think the 177's are better off the road. As to the rubbing there's two different offset rims, that may be on the deuce from what I have been told.

Flyingvan911

I might have to look at a set for my deuce. The initial cost is the only thing stopping me. In the past two years I've only put 3,200 miles on it. 50k tire life should last 17 or 18 years at least. First I'll get a 5 ton speedo adapter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks