• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$$ 11,700 for a forty year old M817 dump truck?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Title says it all. The prices for different lots (also 817s) were a lot less. Now I just learned on internet that M817s are for sale for even much higher prices. But those are checked and repaired-restored trucks in good condition, not unknowns from GL. According the Gl description: Batteries Removed, Fluids Drained, Running Condition Unknow.

Any rationale for why this truck went for that price?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, for whatever reason, two people must have wanted that specific truck very much to keep outbidding each other..

Yesterday's GL results

before 1972 Jeep Corporation M817, not started, unknown, $ 2,950, French Camp, CA

1972 AM General M817 non-running for $ 11,700
:shock: :confused: :shock: from San Antonio, Texas

?? AM General M817 non starting for $ 6,350 Hill AFB, Utah

None of the above is in running condition

?? Am General M817 running for $ 3,677
Nellis AFB, NV. :driver: RUNS

The VINs of the last three are not so far apart, so probably they are of similar age, but the 1972 has the lowest number of the three so presumably the eldest.

Transport is expensive, but it looks that the one from Nellis is the best deal. For the price difference, you can repair all problems and haul or drive that truck to Texas and still be cheaper and have a better truck than the Texas one unless we are missing something (like a load of gold in the back).

Like you said Fuzzytoaster, no accounting for what people will and can do.:cookoo: (no insult intended)

Dr.Jay

GL, posts non running, and usually parts missing on majority of their vehicle sales. This is to protect themselves.
Why did the truck sell for $11,700 ?
Simply because that is what someone was willing to pay for it.

I never buy vehicles from the east, or west coast. Transportation is too expensive.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have long said this hobby has lost it's mind. People are paying full retail (actually, more than retail) to GL, which a wholesaler, for items in totally unknown condition.

I lose stuff I want every single week, but it's because I have the common sense to know when to stop. A lot of people don't have that capacity.

USMC4302

Clinto -- But that's the natural evolution of the hobby, thanks to the greater awareness the Internet has brought to it. Used to be that if you couldn't get to a DRMO lot in person for a live spot bid auction, or know the drill for the sealed bids, you didn't do surplus. Most people only ever heard about the mythical world of "Government Surplus" anecdotally (the $50 WWII Jeeps in crates thing) but never had the ambition to participate. Now that the Internet and the ease of GL have lowered the barriers to enter this activity and hobby ... Well, we've seen it in the other vehicle hobbies, too. The days of crazy cheap surplus are most likely over. Welcome to the future ;)

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was one of those Powerball winners going wild.
Probably both of them since the price was around $ 10K an hour before closing and they continued raising the price.

The dangerous trap is that a lot of inexperienced people still believe that since it is a GL surplus, even with an auction everything must be cheap no matter what you pay. That might have been true decades ago. Today, use your brains and six-check before you bid. People loose perspective in the heat of bidding and, most important, do not put a threshold price for themselves beforehand: till here and no further, not even one $. Having said that, I hate that I don't live in the USA or come over more often so I can get into the bidding and pick up something nice and drive it to some of the rallies.

Last edited:

ichudov

GL auctions in Great Lakes were so good a decade a go, I could bid on any pallet lot of anything without any understanding, and I easily made money every time. I had no understanding of surplus back then, but it was so easy to make money it was unbelievable. This is how I got hooked on this surplus business. Now I have a 10,000 square foot warehouse and do it full time, mostly NOT military surplus these days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks