• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1151 Power Loss

jake20

So uh I guess while still on this topic, any thoughts about just welding a pipe in place of the cat? Given that a new one is $1400-$1800

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So uh I guess while still on this topic, any thoughts about just welding a pipe in place of the cat? Given that a new one is $1400-$1800
Not sure if we're allowed to agree with something like that on a public forum as it's technically advocating illegally modifying a vehicle to defeat emissions equipment, which the EPA kind of frowns upon.

jake20

Not sure if we're allowed to agree with something like that on a public forum as it's technically advocating illegally modifying a vehicle to defeat emissions equipment, which the EPA kind of frowns upon.
Yep understood, lots of money for a tube though lol

Kind of weird thinking about it however, I can't imagine our guys having issues getting out of dodge while in combat because a cat got plugged up, but that's my 2cents

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep understood, lots of money for a tube though lol

Kind of weird thinking about it however, I can't imagine our guys having issues getting out of dodge while in combat because a cat got plugged up, but that's my 2cents
From what I've seen in the past, cats tend to get plugged up from excessive idling, so not really a worry with trucks that are actually getting used hard on a regular basis.

I will say that unlike civilian vehicles, the HMMWV doesn't have any electronics that register the presence of a catalytic converter, so there is nothing that actually cares whether it is there or not other than the EPA

jake20

From what I've seen in the past, cats tend to get plugged up from excessive idling, so not really a worry with trucks that are actually getting used hard on a regular basis.

I will say that unlike civilian vehicles, the HMMWV doesn't have any electronics that register the presence of a catalytic converter, so there is nothing that actually cares whether it is there or not other than the EPA
Yea I was wondering more in terms of exhaust system back pressure in the long run. Other than that I don't really think there's a way to clean the old cat out.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this video regarding cleaning of a DPF.

Not sure if it would fully relate to a catalytic converter. Long video but very thorough. He ends us using both drain cleaner and a diluted brick cleaning acid. I would love to hear of any other successful methods.

87cr250r

Don't mix those two things. The sodium hydroxide in drain cleaner degreases everything. It's then rinsed and then dipped phosphoric or sulfamic acid to remove oxides. If there is any oil on the surface at all, the acid won't make contact and won't clean.

You could also consider putting it in an oven at 500°F + or throw it in a raging camp fire for a bit to degrease. Sodium hydroxide is really nasty stuff.

jake20

Hrm it seems like the way they bolt the muffler is not intended to be removed unless the body is off. The hanger for it is in a spot you can’t really fit your hand. I’ve removed the cat with relative ease so I suppose I don’t need to pull the muffler though. Just wondering if anyone’s removed the muffler in any special way

Attachments

jake20

I suppose you could remove the rear end of the driveshaft from the diff but that’s the only other way I see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks