• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

11x20 tires on Deuce?

snowplow

I have an M35A2C that has 35 yr old tires on it. I need to replace them & considering going to 1100x20's on it & the trailer, has anyone done that & how is it working-- any problems-- better suggestions?

Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Works great. Go check out Gensco Tire on Friendly Rd, they might have what you need.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been done a time or two. Michelins, Goodyear G177 Firestone T831 and NDTs. For an even cooler arrangement, use 14.5X20s on A3 rims in the front and dual 11;00 Michelins on the back.

runk

some threads-

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Few pics. First 3 are of an auction truck with Firestone T831 tires. 4th one is a member here that I don't recall but has 11;00 Michelins on the back and 14.5 20 Michelins on the front with M35A3 rims. Last is a very fine M342A2 that belonged to Dave of Eastern Equipment back in the day. It's got 11;00 NDTs on it.

Attachments

V8srfun

The only reason I am not going with 11’s is cost. So I am doing 395’s even though this is not my ideal choice my pocket persuaded me in to it. It is just simple math 6 tires will cost less than 10.

maybe one day I will loosen the pocket and get the g177’s I would like to have.

davidb56

The only reason I am not going with 11’s is cost. So I am doing 395’s even though this is not my ideal choice my pocket persuaded me in to it. It is just simple math 6 tires will cost less than 10.

maybe one day I will loosen the pocket and get the g177’s I would like to have.
Thats a good deal for 6- 395's. 10-New G177's are 2750$ at Boyce. So 6- 395's for under that, providing you have the wheels, is a steal. Normally they are about 4000$ for 6 new ones. Now I wish I shopped around and got singles.

V8srfun

Thats a good deal for 6- 395's. 10-New G177's are 2750$ at Boyce. So 6- 395's for under that, providing you have the wheels, is a steal. Normally they are about 4000$ for 6 new ones. Now I wish I shopped around and got singles.
because of the cost I am running factory wheels even though I know it is not the best solution. I will say that I do know it has been done safely countless times so I am not concerned about that. I am buying tires from the auction and they have been working out to about $125 a piece. I have a four right now and will be working on winning another auction whenever a batch of them comes available. For me it is nice because I am in a unique situation where the auction is about an hour and a half drive from my front door. If I was to buy from any of the surplus dealers I would have to get to the tires delivered and that in some cases doubles the price of the tires.

tobyS

Your price on 395s isn't stated, but once you get 7 plus adaptors and wheels, that is not a cheap change. Don't forget to have the hubs flipped on the rear for dish out mounting of the single.

My preference is dual 11.00 on rear and A3 rim w/14.5r20 for steer.

fasttruck

The Army itself used 11:00X20 tires on M 35s but 6 at a time. I can empathize with post 6 because shortly after installing 7 Michelin radials on M 35s the decision was made to canabilize them and the engines and transmissions were removed. So as the Army would not issue a new radial tire for your five ton driver, you went down to the can point, dismounted 11ea bias tires on your 5 ton and as the rims are different between a deuce and a 5 ton, demounted 11ea radial tires from the deuces which you them mounted on your 10 lug 5 ton rims. But there was more ! You then had the mount 6ea bias tires on deuce rims so the remains could be towed away. I could do one such conversion a day armed with a hammer, pic bars for the lock rings and a 1" impact wrench to take the wheels on and off. However those days are a long way back in the rear view mirror.

dmetalmiki

1200x20 on one of my deuces. Singled out on 'AEC Militant Wheels). Nice low rpm's at cruise. 45 MPH. Good mpg, In excess of 17 MPG. British Gallons.
All six wheels 'Track in line'. Hubs Flipped. Ah'la Zill, Ural etc.

Attachments

davidb56

Your price on 395s isn't stated, but once you get 7 plus adaptors and wheels, that is not a cheap change. Don't forget to have the hubs flipped on the rear for dish out mounting of the single.

My preference is dual 11.00 on rear and A3 rim w/14.5r20 for steer.
I use that setup in the summer, but switch back in the winter to run my studded chains up front. It looks funny after having the Michelin 14.5's on.
IMG_0029.JPG

jdchristianiii

You can buy "dually" chains. I have a set for my ford superduty. They dont get down between the tires if put on right, because they span both duals.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Army itself used 11:00X20 tires on M 35s but 6 at a time. I can empathize with post 6 because shortly after installing 7 Michelin radials on M 35s the decision was made to canabilize them and the engines and transmissions were removed. So as the Army would not issue a new radial tire for your five ton driver, you went down to the can point, dismounted 11ea bias tires on your 5 ton and as the rims are different between a deuce and a 5 ton, demounted 11ea radial tires from the deuces which you them mounted on your 10 lug 5 ton rims. But there was more ! You then had the mount 6ea bias tires on deuce rims so the remains could be towed away. I could do one such conversion a day armed with a hammer, pic bars for the lock rings and a 1" impact wrench to take the wheels on and off. However those days are a long way back in the rear view mirror.
That makes you someone I wouldn't have wanted to meet in a dark alley. 22 dismounts and 22 mounts is a cubic ton or work for one day.

davidb56

You can buy "dually" chains. I have a set for my ford superduty. They dont get down between the tires if put on right, because they span both duals.
the tire clearance at the trunion is roughly 1.25 inches with 11/20's. Not enough to safely run chains. But if you try it and it works, let us know.

snowplow

Thanks for all the input! I think I'm more confused now than before, seems all other options than the stock 900X20 will need new wheels & may have other problems?

Seems to me the easiest option will be to stick with stock wheels & tires. I have found new tires that are a bit spendy & the used ones except for one source are 25+ yrs old like what I have; one source said they have 6-8 yr old 900's -- so I am thinking that will be the way to go ?

Sorry to be so uninformed, but I just have not kept up with all the tire options & gaining the info is not easy for me.

Thanks to all!!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... seems all other options than the stock 900X20 will need new wheels & may have other problems?
Not so. If you just wanted a slightly bigger tire (and about 5% higher top speed) you can always use your stock wheels, go up to the next size bias ply NDCC 11.00-20s - or even a more modern radial type (size 11.00R20) - and still run them dual on the rear axles.

V8srfun

Don’t be concerned about the wheel chatter no one has provided proof that it is unsafe to run bigger tires on the stock wheels. They will point out that the manufacture recommends a wider wheel for the larger tires but can not provide any reasoning for this recommendation. And the chatter about stressing the bearings is another one that makes sense when you think about it but there are no reports of failure that actually proves the wheel and tire combo to be culprit.

when You hear something enough times you start to believe it regardless of whether it is true or not and this situation is a valid example for that. It is your truck do what you want to it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks