• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

11x20 VS 395 offroad performance

lol yes. i never drive like i stole it but i like to watch the guys that do . deuce parts are verry hard to get here in northern manitoba . and cost a small fortune when you can find them. but if you would like to come on up we can go get a few cords of green birch .3/4 cord on your 150 and 3 or so on the deuce after that a few cool ones and some chat . that would suit me right to the ground,

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I love the road speed of the 395s, but if I could afford it, I'd go with the 1100 firestones too. I don't think they have that much more traction, just like the looks of dualled trucks. They DO have a nice aggressive tread too.

tm america

i dont think i will be making it up to canada anytime soon .but we will be sure to take plenty of pics and videos at haspin this year.i'm gonna take my hitch off this year so it doesnt hang me up again.i agree with gimp it's nice being able to go 69mph in a deuce:-Di dont have the fords anymore i moved up in the world now i have a deuce:twisted:

ive been reading up on the tire grooving posts i think im going to take a 1/2 in by 3/8 deep angle cut out of the center of my ndts 45 degres back and forth angled from one valley to the next . might make it cut a little better in snow and frozen ground . to bad you cant make it up. the fishings great and some of the roads would be just great for a deuce .skidder ruts and yellow clay might even get to play with the winch

Last edited:

emr

Actually the military did not run deuls for redundency, it is beacause cargo trucks are more stable with deuls, over most applications , mostly on road, as for the trucks today, running wide singles, it means what it is, our conflicts are in the sand and rocky areas of the world where they are designed to perform and they do very very well, , A deul set up for the past designed cargo trucks were/ are far superior when loaded, that is not an opinion. ...;-)

tm america

i have to say they did what they could with the technolgy they had at the time back then they had no run flats and radials were just starting to come into use.load traction and speed capacity of tires were nill compared to now .but the question at had is what tires would you use to upgrade a deuce now. being that the tires have gotten so much better than they were in the 30s and 40s when the ndts were designed ,they had a good long run but this is a new era and better tires are avilable.shoot now they are running nitrogen instead of air in tires cuz it is lighter and has bigger molicules so it wont leak as easy as air:roll:

tm america

i can only speak from my experience of running duals and single on my truck .same truck same driver. there is no way my truck will ever have duals on it again.duals are not even in the same ballpark as modern singles . and i openly challenge anyone to bring their ndt dualed deuce out for a little follow the leader :twisted:loaded to crosscountry specs you have 6126 on the front and 5980 on each of the rears so thats 3063 per tire on the front and 1495per tire on the rears with duals or 2990 per tire with singles.as you can see things are much more balanced for traction when singled .running duals each tire in the rear gets about the same psi as a full size van does .and psi is traction . thats why chains do so well in snow they concentrait the load on the chain which is a much smaller area than the whole thread thus frocing the chain down into the ice. even loaded to the max on road load the dualed deuce only has 1575psi per tire:roll:

tm america

i had a very scarey experience with duals on my truck i was pulling my m105 down rt 30 doing about 45mph when the back decided to try passing the front . then add the trailer to that i took all three lanes and the shoulders to i never did that again lucky i didnt hit someone

emr

When talking about deuls and singles , I am talking what the military did, then there singles were only one size up ndts,and "they also went further in a straight line in most cases. your tires like U said recently are a new game for sure, and i do know tests showed for many years what i said, deuls are more stable and still are when loaded, as for your stuck truck, I have noticed a few things, the amount of trucks to pull u out confirm that your axles were burried, and the look of it also say this, not just tire spinning by a long shot , a week later is a whole new game, I do believe u would have went further with the ones U have , U would have just been more stuck in my opinion from the looks of what i see, As for following U i would any day any time,I may have been stuck in these trucks alot more than most and would love to get stuck again. It would not bother me at all if your truck went farther, and i hope it would, But for sure i know my truck and would run it like U never seen...I would pull my 1100 michelins and hump on the ndts on the deuce i still have just for giggles...:twisted:...Also u point out the mud between the deuls as a bad thing, it is, it means U were running way to much air for those tires to get a chance to perform, and the tires U have now are what they are, todays tech and awesome, But they are not the one answer for everything, and as for a loaded truck they still are not as stable as deuls, but for sure in a straight line they sure should go further, As for the back passing u with ndts, i never ran more than 40 psi in my deuls highway, never ,i mean in over 50,000 miles with 900 ndts did my first deuce ever break loose,Ive towed deuce s for 400 miles one way and back for the longest but have alot of deuce tows under my belt., a 5 ton for 60 each way ,many jeeps towbarred and trailers towed also. and i pushed it everywhere in all weather for alot of years., To be honest that is driver error. If u push your new tires to that point U will be going much faster from the speeds U say u take em now, there will be no coming back from that . I really believe putting these radials on these antique trucks and doing over 60 is asking for trouble this is my opinion , they sure do give a false sense of security,but for off road use they sure are awesome... I do not know what the speed rating is on the ones u have but my 1400s are stamped 50 max speed. then again it all depends on what we are driving thru and who is driving...I will add that my buddys that i hang with on base here and did more miles in iraq than any other truck company in the first 2 years, say the same thing, and after as many miles that they did and then they were changing there own tires the guys who had deuls were much happier and also took the loads alot better, I will mention again todays trucks all have what u have and for good reason because of where they are used, but then again these new trucks from experienced talk from the front can not handle close to the loads the older trucks can, I have to say i love the singles on my 925 but preffer the look of the 1100 deuls on the deuce, but thats just me, the 925 s tires stick out just enough, and the deuces are well just under the body for me, I like the idea said earlier, the wider tire in the front is the meanest for my eys...All the Best ...signing off...randy

tm america

what is sad about the pics where my truck is stuck .the truck was not moving when it sank in . as soon as it started to go down i tried like heck to get it before it went down but it wouldnt move .at least not forward or reverse just went straight down.i can walk all over there with the 15.5s no problem .ndts do ok when heavily loaded i agree with that but they really need alot of load on them .5tons and m109s seem to do pretty good with them.it has been my experience the trucks that have even weight distibution do really good offroad .compared to trucks that are front or rear heavy .equal weight front and rear keeps things digging the same and balances the traction so going in and coming out it does the same.you dont want the front digging ruts that make the back drag the axles .i believe the 15.5s have a speed rating of 60 .i dont just want us to play follow the lead we can test things out and try things aired up then aired down then chained to see what does the best so we all know the differences and what the down falls are .offroad preformance is 90%driver and 9% truck 1 % luck:roll:i use my truck way past its design limits and i love these trucks .it is amazing they made a truck so suited to every different terrain .all of our trucks kick butt:twisted: whether you go with this tire or that tire singled or dualed chained or not always remember to use unimogs for wheel chocks:beer:

DanMartin

Not exactly on-topic, but for comparison here's my deuce with 14.50/80R20 tires (stock A3 tires) on OD Iron rims. Note that the hubs are not flipped for this conversion as the wheels are the proper offset when flipped around for front and rear. Also note that I just bought front-style lug nuts from NAPA for the rear wheels, as I did not need the budd caps any longer. Entire swap took about an hour.

Linky: Tires pictures by dantheman29a - Photobucket

OK.....oh my..........where can I find 14.5 tires at a good price!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man, those look awesome and exactly like what I am looking for.
Height of the 11.00x20 but with more width. But not as big as the
395s.....

sexy........looks like the best of both worlds.....