• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12/24v led tail lights

res0wc18

so i bought some civy 12v led lights and they are already half burn out.

I want some that can be run off of 12 or 24v and not burn up. I heard that the military led composites can do this.

Is there any civy lights out there that can?

tmbrwolf

The military composites will run off both voltages, I use them on my M101 trailer and I pull it with an M37 (24V), M882 (12V) and my Ford Expo and they work fine. I've also wired up trailers with commercial 24V LED lamps and those also will run fine on both voltages, and you could not see any differerance in brightness.

res0wc18

when they talk about the lights with or without the buckets what does that mean exactly?

Where is the cheapest place to buy the led composites?

Jones

The TruckLite LED tail and front lights are "Omni-volt" They'll work on 10 to 30 vdc.
Most LEDs are around 3 vdc and you just run the appropriate external resister to get down to the right voltage. Even the "12 vdc LEDs" you can buy are really internally resisted to get the supply voltage down.

The TruckLite LEDs have all the electronics in the faceplate. The "bucket" or housing was to cover the incandescent light sockets and mounting plates. You can remove the bulb lamp stuff and mount the faceplates directly to the housings.
Or for a lower profile you could do a surface mount or make brackets for the LED faceplates.

Attachments

oldshep

go to an auto parts store and but some universal round taillights. then find a 24v bulb to replace the 12v. works perfect. i should post a pic for you the bulb part # is Wagner 1662. used a Peterson Manufaturing assembly. Hope I helped you in some way.:-D

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I wanted some LED lights for my M105 untill I priced them. I pull it with my 2500 Dodge and my deuce and wanted to run both voltages. I did find out that the standard 24V lights will work on 12V, it's just not as bright. I think it's bright enough though.

harm

I recently bought a M416 and want to replace the tail lights with LED's, is this my best option for "plug and play"
Trucklite Military Rear LED Composite Lamp w/Bucket - Trucklite Military LED Lamps

And I assume they will simply connect to the wiring harness on the trailer?
I have a Toyota FJ with a OEM 4 way flat connector, so what type do I need to switch to in order to run these, or is it easier to replace the wiring to fit my 4 way connecter?
I also have a trailer that I pull the quad on with the same wiring, should I change that connection also to match the M416?

Thanks, this is all new to me and I am very confused.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently bought a M416 and want to replace the tail lights with LED's, is this my best option for "plug and play"
Trucklite Military Rear LED Composite Lamp w/Bucket - Trucklite Military LED Lamps

And I assume they will simply connect to the wiring harness on the trailer?
I have a Toyota FJ with a OEM 4 way flat connector, so what type do I need to switch to in order to run these, or is it easier to replace the wiring to fit my 4 way connecter?
I also have a trailer that I pull the quad on with the same wiring, should I change that connection also to match the M416?

Thanks, this is all new to me and I am very confused.
I have put LED bulbs in my M101 trailer, and wired in a flat 4 to the standard harness on the trailer. There is a plate on the driver side tongue, behind that is where the military plug wire connects to the trailer harness. Just tap into the wires there and add the flat 4, so you can connect either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks