• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 acc on 24volt?

jmmay82

I want to install a 12volt winch on my m1009 and the truck is still spec 24 volt where could I attach the Two 2gauge cables that supply power to the winch?

AJMBLAZER

Only part of the starting system is 24v. The rest of the truck is standard 12v. You can get 12v from the front battery and parts of the bus bars on the firewall (where the battery cables go to).

m4A1

The bus bar where the 2nd batt connnects is 24v. Just connect it to the front batt or get a 24v winch and connect it to the slave plug.

maritimer

connect to the front battery, but keep in mind if your gonna be doing any amount of regular winching you will want to in vest in a really good battery as a winc hdoes put a strain on the batt.

trkosaur

There is a 12 volt tie in point on the firewall on the driver's side, just to the left of the brake booster (looking from the front of the truck). This is where all of the vehicles accessories are tied into. The bus bar on left is 24 volt, top is hot, the bottom is ground.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trkosaur, that 12v terminal, would not work for a winch supply.

If you replaced your front battery with a dual post type battery(top and side post), that would be nice for a 12v winch connection.

Tance

Doghead had a good suggestion... I'm running an 8000 lb Warn that I have connected to the front battery, no problems except the terminals are pretty busy with multiple connections.

joeypushjr1

ok heres what i did i bought to optima deep cycle bats. one was top post and the other top /side post and i found some of the terminal locks like the ones on the fire wall and like the one inside passenger rear of the 1009. mounted it next to the first bat and made it 12v. so i can install lights and what not. i reattached my slave cable up to it and made it 12v. and made a set of jumper cables for jumping civi. veh. cause youll do more of that than mv .. worked out really good i think..........joe

Midnight Rider

ok heres what i did i bought to optima deep cycle bats. one was top post and the other top /side post and i found some of the terminal locks like the ones on the fire wall and like the one inside passenger rear of the 1009. mounted it next to the first bat and made it 12v. so i can install lights and what not. i reattached my slave cable up to it and made it 12v. and made a set of jumper cables for jumping civi. veh. cause youll do more of that than mv .. worked out really good i think..........joe
Any pictures of that setup?

MasterChief

Hi
I am new to the MV world. Any help would be appreciated.
I want to use 12v accessories ( scanner, radio, aux. lights like bed lights, fog lights ) on the 24v system of a M-35.
Trialers - I figure I will just swap bulbs - simple is good.
If I ever need a jump I figure I can use a 12v car and charge each battery for a few minutes then disconnect before cranking.
If I need to provide a jump I would just turn the truck off and jump the needy car off one of my batteries.
I've got a lot figured out - ( i think?)
EXCEPT - running 12v accessories off my 24v system............ I see my needs as twofold: a) a high draw 12v source for lights. and
b) a lower draw 12v source for electronics.
Comments? suggestions? ideas?

Thank you!

MasterChief

HI, appreciate any advice or ideas as I am new to forums and new to MV.
Question about M-35. Want to run 12v accessories in 2 catagories: high draw: lights in bed or fog lights , 12vdc to 120vac converter. And lower draw :12v scanner, radio etc.
For civilian trailers I will just swap bulbs ( I LOVE SIMPLE). And i know how to jump start, to and from , a 12v vehicle.

Would LOVE advice on running 12v stuff off my 24v system from u guys who have been -there - and -done -that!

Thanks for the help!

AJMBLAZER

A-You're asking in the CUCV forum, you should probably ask in the deuce and a half forum.

B-Put simply CUCV's are only 24v at the ignition system, the rest of the truck is 12v.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a couple of ways to do it.

1) connect your 12v items to the battery that is attached to the chassis ground. This creates an unbalanced draw on that battery.

2) install a 24v to 12v inverter. This allows the 24v generator to equally charge the batteries.

3) add a 12v alternator to the engine to run the 12v accessories

Really the posibliaties are endless. You just have to weigh the pros and cons of each.

Contact MikeW. He added and inverter on a bobjob he recently completed. He has pictures posted here.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/47558-yet-another-way-bob-deuce.html

Last edited:

MasterChief

To: WARTHOG.
Thank you for reply - I contacted MikeW.. via your link with a "Q/R". Of your 3 suggestions - I see No.1 as the most expedient - how significant is the unbalanced draw issue?
Do you recomend any source for the "inverter" in suggestion No.2 ? ( I would call it a stepdown transformer - but could be wrong).
Your suggestion No. 3 seems to me to require it's own battery - but is there a "kit" with mounting brackets for the alternator?

Thanks!
Steve

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks