• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 or 24 VOLT How do i know?

cucvrus

If it were me I would get a 24 volt starter and hot wire the starter to see if the engine starts. That way when you do what you say you are going to do you have the starter. Getting it started 12 volt seems harder than just fixing it right now the first time. Do as you wish. I am genuine in my desire to assist. I started the CUCV engines on the floor already. Just for a brief second to see if they ran. Good Luck. Manually glowing the plugs after you are sure you have fuel is easy enough also. Be Safe.

radbaddad

If it were me I would get a 24 volt starter and hot wire the starter to see if the engine starts. That way when you do what you say you are going to do you have the starter. Getting it started 12 volt seems harder than just fixing it right now the first time. Do as you wish. I am genuine in my desire to assist. I started the CUCV engines on the floor already. Just for a brief second to see if they ran. Good Luck. Manually glowing the plugs after you are sure you have fuel is easy enough also. Be Safe.
I have a used 12 volt that is for sure good and like i say the truck is now wired 12v so i may as well try it before going back. Besides the only 24starter i saw new was $900. I will for sure bolt the axles under something else drop a 5.3 or even a 6.0 in before flipping that bill. The truck is just not in that good of shape to spend that money. I can almost walk into the cab and sit down. LOL. Has not had a drivers window in 15yrs = floor gone rocker gone.

richingalveston

shop elsewhere before buying a $900 starter.

and there are many other places to get them, should not cost anywhere close to $900
I had my direct drive 24 volt starter rebuilt for $250.
just so you know, they make a 24V direct drive which was original equipment on the cucv and a 24v gear reduction starter. They both work.

sue

shop elsewhere before buying a $900 starter.

and there are many other places to get them, should not cost anywhere close to $900
I had my direct drive 24 volt starter rebuilt for $250.
just so you know, they make a 24V direct drive which was original equipment on the cucv and a 24v gear reduction starter. They both work.
24 volt starter on 12v batteries will spin slow
Pull a head light out and see if the part #s cross
to 12 or 24v

sue

to 12 or 24v
And everyone knows that if you have two batteries
you hook them up ++\ - - unless your working on
24v system. Probably why it’s been sitting.
it’s hard for most people to blindly hook up a
positive post to a negative post. without thinking
something bad will happen. It’s a GM pickup who
ever heard of a Chevy pickup running on 24volts?
Only the camouflage ones!

cucvrus

to 12 or 24v
ALL CUCV's have 12 volt headlamps. As far as I have always known the starter is the only 24 volt electrical item on the vehicle. With the exception of the voltmeter. So sure that is all good. Good Luck. If the cab is that bad it may only be worth parts. Or changing the cab.

sue

And everyone knows that if you have two batteries
you hook them up ++\ - - unless your working on
24v system. Probably why it’s been sitting.
it’s hard for most people to blindly hook up a
positive post to a negative post. without thinking
something bad will happen. It’s a GM pickup who
ever heard of a Chevy pickup running on 24volts?
Only the camouflage ones!
Did not know the lights were 12 volts, learn something new every day!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks