• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 volt battery gauge

Darwin T

i am thinking of adding another altenator (12 volt) to my M109a3. i have been doing research and have not found the answer i need. so here i go, is there a "military" 12 volt battery gauge that is the same size as the 24 volt battery gauge in a deuce (2" i think)? i was thinking one off a jeep or older MV, if so which vehicle? i would like to be able to watch and see if it is charging. this project is many months down the line.

correction: i think the gauge is a 2 1/8" gauge opening.

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
very intresting. i didnt think there was the same style gauge as the deuce that was 12 volt and not 24. I installed a 12 volt alternator above my factory 24 volt on my M35A2 and it is going to charge a deep cycle battery in my battery box. I really like the idea of the factory looking gauge setup, but i think iwould like to see actual numbers (instead of the colored scale) for my volt gauge. i would mount it down lower on the dash on a seperate panel so im not sure how i would light it up.I will either run lights off the battery (for camping) and/or a redi-line 120 volt generator that runs off 12 volts. If i was going to run lights off the battery, i like the idea of the factory looking deuce gauge for sure. running my generator, im thinking i would like to see volts instead of a color just to play it safe not to run the motor on too low of voltage. those are just my thoughts right now anyway, haha :lol:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just used an off the shelf gauge from AutoZone. Not exactly mil spec, but I put a crappy paint job on it so it looks like a bored soldier did the work.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is my set up. I moved the hi beam indicator over to the left side of the dash.

Attachments

Darwin T

this is my dash i plan on mounting the extra panel left (or right i am not sure) of the air shift switch so i can install another warning light for another project and was looking for a gauge to fit the extra hole. i plan on adding a 12 volt to run the box on my M109a3, so thats when i thought 12 battery gauge.
kevin

Attachments

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ours is on the charge controller for the solar panels. It doesn't let me (Elise really) see what is happening while driving (because it's in the box), but it does let us know what is going on while parked for days.

Last edited:

Darwin T

Ours is on the charge controller for the solar panels. It doesn't let me (Elise really) see what is happening while driving (because it's in the box), but it does let us know what is going on while parked for days.
Cool, does your batteries charge while you drive or is it just solar? how are your panels mounted or are they portable? i have a plan B if i can't find a 12 volt that looks military.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool, does your batteries charge while you drive or is it just solar? how are your panels mounted or are they portable? i have a plan B if i can't find a 12 volt that looks military.
They charge while we drive as well, there's a dual alt set-up on the truck. The panels are now getting mounted between the rails of the cab-over rack. When I designed it I knew that it would get panels and a solar batch water heater between the rails as we progressed, so the side rails run all the way to the back of the box.

Here's some old photos
10-07-22_ (1).jpg 11-01-21 (3).jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks