• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 volt conversion

houstonrealtor

So after doing some thinking about adding an equalizer to run 12v appliances such as radio, electronic transmission etc I am now wondering if it may be easier and more useful to convert my 88 M998 to 12v. I think it would be a lot more practical and also in order to pull my car hauler I would need to convert my trailer harness to 12v. Has anyone done this and is it more involved than just changing the starter and lights to 12v? I don't know much about diesel engines so Im not sure if anything else would need to be changed or if this is even practical.

DatGuyC

You would have to change your glowplugs to 12v versions and I dont think the controll box would run on 12v either. You would also have to change your gauges and sender units since they are probably calibrated for 24v.

houstonrealtor

So you take the stock alternator our and replace it with 2 alternators? Do they make a kit for this? Also how would that fix the problem with trailer wiring being 24v?

Gunzy

The M998 is NOT rated to pull a loaded car hauler. If it is equipped to tow it is only rated to pull 3500 lbs max. And the 6.2 is only 150hp which would be very weak at doing that also. You may wish to reconsider what your intentions are in referance to the M998.

ralph3162

They do make a kit I believe for the 998. my system is on a deuce but you still have the 24v system your just adding a 12v system it is separate so no need to change anything 24v just add 12v stuff that you want

houstonrealtor

You know if you think about it all you really need to do is change the bulbs in the trailer to 24v wiring and stuff would stay the same.
Sounds like a set of 12-28v LED lights on the trailer would solve all the issues.
I've thought about this and will most likely go this route but would be nice to be able to hook up to whatever trailer and not worry about it but not a huge deal.

Thanks for the input

tigertank

i thought about this also and it was easier to buy 24 to 12 inverters which u can install next to the Cadillac valve and u can run lights and whatever off it

74M35A2

Just run your 12V appliances off of one of the batteries. Convert trailer to 12-24V LED bulbs as others have said. Done. They make a trailer light converter box also if you want to be able to pull any 12V trailer. I bought one, it was kind of pricy and bulky but it works perfectly. If I were to go through it again, I would just buy the magnetic wireless LED trailer lights and be done. Able to pull any trailer, regardless of the trailer wiring condition!

Last edited:

74M35A2

i ran this way for 7 years on a pair of 6TL"s with no issues...just really depends on how much juice your sucking really.
Agreed, and disagree with "It will kill your batteries". This went around and around before, and if I remember correctly, there were no known cases of it killing batteries. Even the military does it as factory wiring.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, and disagree with "It will kill your batteries". This went around and around before, and if I remember correctly, there were no known cases of it killing batteries. Even the military does it as factory wiring.
agreed, but remember, if you have a dual voltage alternator wired correctly, it's not a problem on the new mil trucks.
that 14v tap is going to one of the batteries, in the case of the hmmwv, it's the rear battery.
i cell phone charger or small items are no big draw...subwoofer and amps are a different story.
they make good 24v to 12v converters...just do the math on the unit you buy and the expected draw....or upgrade to a 200amp gen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks