• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 Volt power

CaptB

I'd like to say hello to everyone. This will be my first posting.

I'm an Emergency Management Coordinator for Oceanport, NJ. We have two M35A2, 1967 and 1969, both Kaiser's, which we use for rescue work during flood conditions or other emergencies.

WE are presently mounting emergency lighting to both trucks. I'm using surplus equipment which we already own and that equipment is primarily 12 volt in nature. I have some strobe powered stuff which will take 12 and 24 volt.

What I'm looking for is ways to power the 12 volt equipment. I had purchased converters, but the AMPS are limited to about 25. I found one that will do 40 APMS.

Does anyone know if the trucks have 12 V power sources I could hook into or any other way I could power the 12 volt equipment. Converters cost $180 to $260 and I'd like to use that money for more work on the trucks.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Once I have the trucks done, I'll post pictures.

Lax

CaptB,
Those are very good questions. I too have some 12V spot lights, light bars, etc that I need to use with my M35A2. I hope you get some good feedback on your questions because I can use the information too.

By the way. I looked into converters too but the amps were way to low for high power 12V spot lights and emergency light bars. Good luck!

mangus580

For the amperage needed, the only thing I can suggest is to add a 12v charging system to your truck. This can be done by adding a 3rd battery (3 civvy batts should fit in the battery box), and a method of charging it. The military does have a 12/24v alternator they in some of the latest-greatest trucks, but locating one is like finding a needle in a haystack. I have seen where some people have taken a single pole GM alternator and mounted it above the existing 24v alternator. I think with a different pulley on the 12v alt, you can run longer belts and get them all in one shot.

Just my 2cents

Jones

You'll need to think about a third 12v battery in it's own 12v system. Then you can get a lower amperage 24v to 12v converter that's capable of charging a 12v battery; you should be able to power off of the individual 12v battery and still have the 24v system intact. That way the converter isn't required to provide the high amp draw of lighting systems and the like.
The temptation is to tap into one of the two 12v batteries that comprise your 24v system but that will lead to uneven charging and eventually shorter battery life.

chief76433

When you say 12/24 volt generator does it charge a third battery?Will one of them fit on a Cummins?Would it take much modification?How much?Our pump keeps a third battery charged now but it only starts the pump and runs the radio and a small light bar.We bought 24V flood lights.I wish someone had an alternator bracket for a Cummins.I saw a plan for one for a Deuce but not a 5 ton.

devilman96

I have a template for a Deuce that I made from mine... Someone wants to drop a 5 ton by and I will make one for that too... I might keep the 5 ton though LOL

Lax

Rizzo,
Can you tell me more about the 24/12V generators? Are they a direct bolt on replacment for the current 24V generators or do I need other brackets, etc. How would I hook up a third battery and do I need a third battery? Please advise. Thanks a lot!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks