• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 volt radios in 24 volt m35a2

scopionf89

I need advise on how big a power converter I need to power a cb, am/fm radio, and a 12 volt socket for my GPS. I am only going to put 2 small speakers on the amfm. I am trying to keep my duce as original as possable but win I get back frome Irak I am going to be moving from GA to WA so I have to have my tuns to keep me awake.

robr

Consider using a "battery equalizer" instead of a DC-DC converter...will help maintain the batteries also.

battery equalizer are great but $200.00 compared to $12.00 for the converter
if you are running a lot of 12v stuff get the equalizer but for the few things he wants to run I think the converter is the best for the money

stampy

agreed with Rob, for the money the converter is the way to go, besides 24 to 12v pulls off both batteries so you aren't loading one more than another. If you just wired to one battery + and - then you would get 12v also but you would only load that battery and that is not good for battery life.

stampy

Also you may want to forget the speakers and go with headsets. Lower power and great on long trips as it muffles Deuce exhaust noise out also. I use my aircraft headsets with a splitter and a mp3 port so I can listen to my tunes when not talking to my passenger....It's AWESOME!!!:jumpin:

Dodge man

Also you may want to forget the speakers and go with headsets. Lower power and great on long trips as it muffles Deuce exhaust noise out also. I use my aircraft headsets with a splitter and a mp3 port so I can listen to my tunes when not talking to my passenger....It's AWESOME!!!:jumpin:

Headsets would be great IMO but they're illegal in some states, including here in Florida :-(

YMMV but I found this on the net regarding Washington: "It turns out that in Washington the fine for headphones is $124. "

Stan Leschert

Robr sent me one of those gizmos. I am installing it right now. What a brilliant device!
If I would have had one earlier, I probably would not have cratered an old and abused charging system. Many $$$ later, the truck is restored and running!

scopionf89

I reinlisted to go to Lewis sapoidly I will be their around March 5, 2011. Thats subject to change based on win I get my stuff thats going to be shiped on a boat from Irak. As soon as I get my stuff I can start PCS process.

scopionf89

I am moving to Lewis some time around March 2011. Win I get their largly depends on win I get my stuff that I am shiping in our platoon conex. As soon as I get my stuff I can start the Permint change of station process.

Looks like thears a few military truck colectors in the Lewis area.
I wish I could by more tatical vehicals but its hard win you move frome base to base. Not to menchion my wife would flip hahaha

4trans

Headsets would be great IMO but they're illegal in some states, including here in Florida :-(

YMMV but I found this on the net regarding Washington: "It turns out that in Washington the fine for headphones is $124. "
Another reason i like being a Firefighter wearing headsets while responding to calls

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do decided to go with headsets, consider the purchase of a small and cheap portable intercom system for aircraft, already set up for 24V. With noice-cancelling headphones, you not only get rid of the noise, but you and your passenger can also talk to each other without disturbance. I use a Sigtronics brand aircraft 24V intercom, switching it between my Cessna and my Deuce.