• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 volts source

Triton

I need to power a 12volt DC motor for a cord reel that I want to mount on my 803 with trailer. Can I take 12volts from one of the batteries on my unit?

Triple Jim

I agree, but a brute force solution might be to set it up so you can alternate between the two batteries, occasionally switching the one you're using for 12v. But if the grounds aren't isolated, this won't work, and in that case you'd have to use just the battery that's connected to ground. Use caution if you're experimenting!

snowtrac nome

why not get a 24 v motor the reason the military and cat use 24 volt systems is it takes less amps to do the same amount of work the trade off for the higher price would be more work before you overheat the motor ,

Triple Jim

There are cases in which a 12v motor will run fine, although about twice as fast, on 24v, without damage. Some motors are even spec'd that way, like 1200 rpm at 12v and 2400 rpm@24v. You might do a little investigation into this. The motor manufacturer might be helpful. And of course I have no idea how your cord reel would behave at double speed so again, use caution!

Triton

I got this reel from a friend of mine's dad's truck he was selling. Couldn't pass up the deal, cost me a 12 pack of Shiner Bock! I won't be using it much only for 120 volt loads when I travel with the genset. My unit is mainly for the house with a totally separate wiring system. It may be fine if it runs twice the speed for the little I will use it. The motor had a label that read it must be protected with a 40 amp circuit breaker, it's a 1999 Hannay Reel.

Attachments

tobyS

Or you could just put a large resistor inline with the 24 volt feed and drop the volts down to 12 volts.
Yes, being sure it will handle the load.You could test the speed and use more or less resistor to make it fast or slower.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's perfection, and there's practical. Your reel is an occasionally used load, for a few seconds. Just connect it to first battery. It's constant drains that cause detrimental battery unbalance. My 2c.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give this a search about 20USD, this is what i would get assuming 240 watts will do the job.
Nextrox DC/DC Converter Regulator 24V Step Down to 12V 20A 240W
51jrwCqcgrL.jpg

Triple Jim

I've used those compact converters with the cast finned housings and had two out of two fail within a year or so. Maybe I was just unlucky. Also, I suspect the starting current will momentarily overload it.

Resistors in series with DC motors limit the motor torque because they limit current. That may or may not be a problem for this application, but I bet you'd notice the motor slowing down with load more than normal.

Just using one battery like tennmogger suggested is probably the best idea of all. You can always swap the batteries once or twice a year if you want.

tobyS

Yes. just hook to one (the one with the ground) and forget it. That's what they do with the heater fans and this is way more intermittent than that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks