• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 vs 24 bolt.... Baja, mtr, vs Wrangler... Looking for a decent ride

camarossguy2

I'm kinda at a crossroads with my wheels. I actually have a cucv with 12 bolt hmmwv wheels and baja tires, dot date 2011.
I'd like to drive it more, but the rides is killing me. I have tried weights, beads and Hummer balancing rings. Sometimes it will be decent, other speeds shake the truck.
Anyway, I've run big tires on all my trucks, and never had an issue with balancing big 'non-military' tires. These h1 seen to be the exception.

Being a cucv, I'm with my current axle setup, I need to maintain the ~7" backspacing, I've read through all the posts here and checked it many wheel manufacturer websites and it appears there are NO off the shelf options for a H1 replacement wheel, all have a low offset which would stick out way far on my m1009.

So my options are paying a lot extra for custom wheels with the h1 offset.
Or
Trying a new set of H1 wheels

My main question is: is there a particular H1 wheel combo that produces a better ride than others?
I did search and read through a lot of post, it seems typically people favor the Baja over the wranglers and mtrs, but many of those posts were back over a decade ago, since then there are new versions of the tires etc.

Do the newer 24 bolt and 24 pair bolt Wheels perhaps balance better than the 12 bolt?
I actually put my 12-bolt Wheels on a bouncer by themselves with no tire, and they needed 16 oz LOL

I plan on buying the newest dot date 100% life tires that I can find.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am starting down this road again, I have some 24 bolt (even) wheels and BFGs on the DuraVee, they did fine for about 10K then started to bounce, I have 13K on them now,,, so I took the worst one to the tire shop to see about getting it balanced, I am using dynamic balancers and did not get the tires balanced when I installed them.

So I am standing in the waiting room and when they put the wheel/tire on the machine I could see it was out of round from 50 feet away and I am half blind!
It also looked like the rim had a fair amount of radial runout also so I am not sure what came first the chicken or the egg..

Now I am starting with a stack of 8, 24 bolt paired rims and some "new" BFGs.
I just ordered a trailer spindle to match some old Dexter 8 lug axles laying about in one of my sheds, the plan is to set up the spindle/8 lug hub on my heavy engine stand so I can spin them with a dial indicator and mix/match the halves and timing and hopefully come up with a relatively "round" set of rims to begin with...

And of course I can spin the entire ass. when the tires are mounted.

I am not sure what to shoot for but doing some searches comes up with a rim that size anything under .050" radial runout should be acceptable.

camarossguy2

I think I'm going to cross my fingers and see if a new set of 24 bolts with some 98 or 100% dot 2020 bajas fixes it...
Need to decide reg 24 vs paired bolts 24

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks