• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

120 Volt Spider

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, how is it going to be used, what amp rating receptacles, what wire size, and how many circuits, and from what model generator, just for starters.

Videris

If a person can plug into your spider box receptacles to use power then I would highly recommend using ground fault circuit interrupt receptacles (gfci). If equipment non electronic sensitive equipment will be plugged into them then you can use regular receptacles. Why risk it, safety first.

quickfarms

I am building a spider box with 4qty 120 volt receptacles, should I use GFCI receptacles?
What is the purpose and where is it going to be used?

Who is going to use it?

What are you connecting to it?

If it is for inside use, non wet location, than it is not required.

If you are plugging into a gfci protected circuit than it is not required.

Guyfang

Staff member
Having twice in my life, gotten myself into a position where I could not let go of a "HOT" wire, I can wholeheartedly say, a GFI is a good idea.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the purpose and where is it going to be used?

Who is going to use it?

What are you connecting to it?

If it is for inside use, non wet location, than it is not required.

If you are plugging into a gfci protected circuit than it is not required.
Unfortunately this is not correct. Any and all temporary generators delivering 120v loads 30a and under require GFCI protected circuits. The only way around this is to connect it to the building (or RV) wiring then the code for the building wiring takes precedence.

If you want to read the code for yourself look in NEC section 527. Emergency power setups fall under the Temporary wiring rules.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately this is not correct. Any and all temporary generators delivering 120v loads 30a and under require GFCI protected circuits. The only way around this is to connect it to the building (or RV) wiring then the code for the building wiring takes precedence.

If you want to read the code for yourself look in NEC section 527. Emergency power setups fall under the Temporary wiring rules.
Well, if it's wired wrong, or runs the generator off balance, or fused incorrectly or not at all, it's all a mute point.

I wonder why the op didn't care to share the pertinent info to make the correct decision.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He shared enough actually. If you are building a 120v spider box the answer is yes, you have to use gfci to be code compliant.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, one 15 amp gfci, feeding the other 3 receptacles, all plugged into one 120v service outlet fed with some 14ga so cord will work?

Maybe if all you want to plug in is 8 radios or other low amp items.

The op never mentioned he wanted to be code compliant.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks