• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

120lbs of Kitty Litter

wsucougarx

120 lbs of litter under the tires for traction? or you're in such deep crap....I don't think 120 lbs of litter is enough;-)

Last edited:
Yes; my plan is to dig the thing out as much as possible, put some litter behind/under each tire, and have a 4x4 try to pull me out. The litter is supposed to absorb water and provide a sandy surface for better grip.

A 4x4 F-150 tried to pull me out earlier; I had all ten spinning slowly in reverse while he drove forward in 4 low - thing didn't budge. Those front axles are pretty deep.

Last edited:

goldneagle

You need some bags of concrete mix. The stones and cement will give you traction. Just keep it dry as much as possible. Just remember to wash the truck after you are done. Cement is not good for metal.

I know you're all probably right, but all I can do tomorrow is try to dig it out. Equipment rental is closed on the weekends. I can rock the truck where it sits, so I'm hoping I can dig all day and pull it out with a regular truck.

If not, I guess I'll have to call an equipment rental place during the week, because I don't know anybody with a truck as big as mine.

Wreckerman, your thoughts about the litter are logical - I would tend to agree, but my friend said it's worked for him before, and it seems to be recommended online.

You need some bags of concrete mix. The stones and cement will give you traction. Just keep it dry as much as possible. Just remember to wash the truck after you are done. Cement is not good for metal.
What happens when I can't get the truck out? Cement solidifies around the tires? =( maybe it would never get dry enough to harden completely - just sounds risky to me.

60lbs of sand is only 5 bucks at home depot - I guess I'll go pick some of that up. They should have some equivalent rock too - I don't know if it's specifically 3/4 minus, but maybe something similar.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks

kassim503

+1 on the sand and gravel, try using that in conjunction with alot of digging and stuff. It works! A-loooot of digging & gravel & sand

But if you already have 120 lbs of kitty litter, I would try throwing the entire bag in instead of feeding it in, Might try to lift the truck out? Additionally I hear you can wrap a cable around the dual rear tires and use the two rims as a sort of winch, but there looks like there isnt very much to winch off of in that photo

Josh

Long as it isnt round rock. That said, I dont know how differnt the types of mud between PNW and yours is, if its super sloppy mud, the sand might not make as much as a differance as the rock. also if you havent already, air your front tires down to 15 psi,

Yep, thanks Josh, plan on airing down. I was going to air down all the outside tires though - think the front two will be enough? Will a dually react differently to low air pressure?

But if you already have 120 lbs of kitty litter, I would try throwing the entire bag in instead of feeding it in, Might try to lift the truck out? Additionally I hear you can wrap a cable around the dual rear tires and use the two rims as a sort of winch, but there looks like there isnt very much to winch off of in that photo
Nope, don't think a winch would help very much in this situation. Throwing the whole bag in actually sounds pretty intriguing; maybe I'll dig until the bags will fit, throw one under each tire and hope it grabs them and sucks them under. I'll have sand and gravel in the tracks as well. Good plan!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks like the chick in the back is trying to tell you something.

Something like "your fu-um, screwed!"?