• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v-71 detroit diesel

hg adams

Just checked in the deuce forum about installing a 12v-71 in a deuce. I was informed it would not fit. So, what about a 5 ton truck? I'm new to the larger than cucv military vehicles so any info would be great. I was thinking about building an offroad fire rig for my ranch here in the texas panhandle.

Rustygears

The 12V-71 is much larger than a straight 6 diesel - Herc or Cummins. It is also much, much heavier. It has TWO superchargers that are necessary for it to run. The Detroits are 2-cycle diesels as compared to the 4-cycle Hercs, Cummins and Cats.

In addition to doing alot of work to get it to physically fit, there is also much work to get the suspension and everything else right. The 12V-71 is a very old (WWII) and less efficient design than current diesels. You'd be better off putting in a big Cat 8 or a modern 8V-92 Detroit. It really hurts to say this because I put myself through college rebuilding '71 series Detroits!

hg adams

How do I remove a thread? Sorry if I made a mistake, just trying to find some info on installing a 12v-71 in a military truck. My father in law has a 12v-71 sitting in the shed just waiting to be used and I thought it would make a good combination.

Rustygears

They DID catch on. Detroit made 2-71, 3-71, 4-71, 6-71 and 12-71. That design persisted for close to 50 years! All greyhound (and most other) buses used detroits until those crap Eurobuses arrived. I was putting 3-71 into F-150 pickups for servicing the oil sites in southern Cali. The problem is that the 2-cycle is dirty from an EPA point of view. The '92 series superseded the '71 series in the late '80s. Lots of semis used the '92 in their fleets. The 12V-71 was primarily a marine engine and they are still widely found in marine applications. I quit working on those beasts in the mid '80s. It was fun to turn them up!

JDBUCKSAVAGE

Yep, I own a 1955 Scenicruiser Greyhond double decker, see it on you tube,DeGraef auto specialty, they sound so cool the 8v71 in diesel tunes is like a ferrari goin by......really cool!!

Rustygears

I worked on 'cruisers (PD4501)!
They originally had (2) engines (3-71) that were connected through a hydro unit to drive the tranny. 'hound had a major retrofit and replaced that rube goldberg setup with a single 8V-71.

There was one bus with a 12V-71 that was the last GM motorcoach made for 'hound before they started making their own through MCI. That bus had serious frame cracking problems due to torque and weight and was quickly retired as a major maintenance nightmare. I think that was the PD4901. That taught me that except for fixed plant or marine, 12V-71 was just too big for any vehicle - maybe a small locomotive.

XanRa

ill say here what i said on the other thread- no matter how illogical or crazy-what i really want to see is a 24v-71 detroit in a truck of any kind:twisted:

jts521

Wow, a 24v-71,that must be a monster engine. We have 3 50 ton off road haul trucks with 16v's in them and they are screamers. Along with many other smaller pieces of equipment with different size Detroits, mostly 8v71's, a 6v71 and a 2,3,and 4-71's powering generators or screening plants.The one thing about the 2 stroke Detroits is they have to be high in the power band to make any power aka flat to the floor on some models ha ha. Although loud they are very dependable engines, just make sure to add oil as they like to mark their territory.

JDToumanian

I think you could stuff a 12v71 into an 800-series 5 ton, but it will not be a simple drop in job. An easy fit that matches the original engines' capabilities would be a 6v-53 or a 6-71. NAPCO used to offer 6v-53 conversion kits for 5 tons (and 4-53 kits for deuces). The 12v is much wider, very heavy, and too powerful for most of the drive train to handle.

The 6-71 and 12v-71 (Buzzin' Dozen) are my all-time favorite engines... 8)

Jon

spicergear

Generally unless you had one sitting in the bilges of your yacht...you would only see the hp numbers in the 400's hp. BUT in marine use with the two factory compressors (simple needed to run, not hot rod in anyway) then power adders like singe and twin cooled turbos you could see them 1,000hp or more. They are a great big engine- go to YOUTUBE and put in a search for 12v71 detroit and you'll come up with a list of engines running and some in rigs. The link below is really, really good and will give old Detroit guys goose bumps.

YouTube - Truck Puller - Big Red Express - Detroit 12V71TT- Warmup

As far as fitting in a 5 ton...lot of work...wildly cool if you can do it. I have a 475hp 'Silver 92' (single turbo 8V92) with 13speed Overdrive Road Ranger just waiting for $$$ and the right 5 ton to come my way- :)

ODdave

Ahhh, the valley truck parts puller. you should see it in person. it was at the sled pulls here last year. (valley is only an hour from me anyway)

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just checked in the deuce forum about installing a 12v-71 in a deuce. I was informed it would not fit. So, what about a 5 ton truck? I'm new to the larger than cucv military vehicles so any info would be great. I was thinking about building an offroad fire rig for my ranch here in the texas panhandle.

I love the sound of a Detroit 2 stroke. I have a Dodge with a DD 8V71 in it. Thinking about switching it out to a 6V92T though.

How about a 5 ton M923/925 type truck that has the one piece tilt hood? If the hood isn't long enough to fit the DD then use it as a pattern to make a custom fiberglass hood from and then set the cab back a little on the frame. There's also a big tank transporter semi tractor type military truck that has the 8v92T in it. The 2 stroke Detroits are no longer made for the civilian market but they still make them for the military. If you see a Silver 6V53T it was a military only engine as the Silver series of engines came out after the 6V53 was dropped from the civilian market (so I've been told). But at least the aftermarket industry is still making a lot of replacement parts to keep the beasts running for a while longer.

Ruppster

dragonwagon

I still run an 8V in a 74 KW i have . They ran well in there day , had more rpm then most diesels did back then . HP was not great though compared to a modern motor .

They still sound mighty mean though :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks