• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v radio in a 24v truck?

bp m1009

Im trying to put a regular 12v stereo radio, not a military CB radio. any way i want to know what accesories in the truck are only 12v? i need to hook a wire up to a switched 12v source that gets power when the key is in the acc. posistion. and i also need a constant 12v source where would i get that from? Thanks

Midnight Rider

If you search the site, I think you'll find a thread that has pictures of the fuse box. I chose one of the empty spots in the fuse box, tested to make sure it was 12v and only on when the key was on. Then I ran a another cable straight to the front battery for the constant 12v power.

In any event, this has been covered in fairly good detail before. Just search for stereo or radio in the CUCV forum and you'll find what you need. I know I did.

Ken_86gt

An alternative way is to take your 12V from the front battery, to a fuse block that you buy and install, then to a switch that you mount in the truck. Then connect the radio to the switch. And for the constant 12V for the clock memory use the hot side of the switch.

bp m1009

alright thanks guys i actually got it all wired up within an hour or so after posting this thread...it turns out that my multimeter was faulty and every thing i read said 24v for some reason even though i knew really only the starter is 24v, after a trip to sears and a new multimeter i found out that all the wires i checked under the dash are 12v like i thought...i actually plugged right into some orange wire that wasnt being used for my constant source, really convenient actually. now i just need to get some 6x9 speaker boxes or something

Midnight Rider

I know someone on here has done that before. I remember reading about it in one threads that I had found while searching for stereo/radio installations.

I think they used the smaller ammo cans. Maybe 7.62 Nato round ammo cans? That's probably wrong.