• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12v wiring for M105a2?

kevinl

Hoping someone can help me here. I've got an M105a2 trailer that I'm wanting to use for a work trailer. I'm pulling with a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel truck. With my new hitch and spinning the lunette I'm now sitting level and the trailer pulls well. I know nothing about the 28v tail lights and would like to convert them to 12v. and put a small plug on that will work with my towing package. Has anyone ever done this? is it a chore? is it even possible? Any info would be a big help.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes its do-able. You can re-wire the existing harness or (I think a better way) would be to put a whole new harness in.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's pretty easy. Put 12V lights in the tail lights, (just the upper 2 bulbs) and cut the military trailer plug off, and wire in a civilian one. I'll see if I can find the pin outs tonight for you, but Im sure if you google MILITARY TRAILER LIGHT PINOUTS or the like, it will come up. Thats one thing thats been standard since the 1950's...

kevinl

I really appreciate the help. I look forward to getting the pinning info if you come across it.
Thanks again!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, I think I found the trailer plug pins on OliveDrab.com a year or so ago. I made an adapter using a trailer pigtail from NAPA and a trailer receptacle from a CUCV. I wired the two together and put 12v bulbs in the lights. It worked great and I plan on using it to pull my 105A2 with my Excursion.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just installed a second set of universal trailer lights for $25. That way I can still keep it original lights for towing with a duece or use the 12v lights for a regular pickup.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
4pin flat harness to the factory harness:
Circuit 21 to Brown wire = running lights
Circuit 22-460 to green wire = right turn
Circuit 22-461 to yellow wire = left turn
White wire to good ground on the trailer

12Volt bulbs = 67 and 1156 bulbs

The other circuts dont worry about, they are for the black out lights which you dont need for a civy truck.

kevinl

Thanks for all the help and the pin outs! That's really gonna spead things up. I'll give it a go first thing tomorrow.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: plug

If I had to do it, i'd go to NAPA or an RV place, buy some 4 wire trailer cord and a 4 pin flat or round plug...depending on what the tow vehicle has...and a cheap set of lights. Then just piggyback the 12v system so it could be towed with the civi or the MV with no bulb changing. Or, just get a set of mag base lights for the 12v use. Keep in mind, that trailer is 2750 lbs. I wouldn't be hauling too much wt. w/o brakes. Be safe, if not for you, the people around you.

kevinl

Good point regarding weight of the trailer. The only things I haul with this trailer are tree limbs or camping gear. Just a utility trailer. No heavy loads..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks