• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

13G vs 60G glow plugs

Herls

Hello all.

Need to change the glow plugs on my M1009. I saw a post from 2019 where someone mentioned AC delco 13G and 60G plugs. I don't know anything about them, what is the difference between 13G and 60G plugs, which should I use?

Can you attach a link to the glow plugs you recommend so I can make sure I'm buying the right ones? (Advanced auto says they have a bunch close by but im second guessing myself as if they're correct or not.)

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is quoted from a very experienced member,

FYI

If it were my truck and I wanted to diagnose the glow plug system. I would pull all 8 glow plugs and bench test them. You could have 1 or more that are not glowing and they can return a false signal to the glow plug controller to protect the system. I may not have my terminology correct but that is where I always start. Get an eye ball look at them and make sure they are glowing at the tip. CUCVRUS Repair Projects | Page 6 | SteelSoldiers I have had a few that heated up against the threads and that caused an adverse no start condition. Good Luck. Report back. I will do my best to help from afar. And I always retain the stock system no ballast resistor bypass and use AC Delco 13G glow plugs. It has worked for me for 25 years and all my customer vehicles have the same stock unmolested system in them. General Motors spent millions designing it and it lasted a long time. No use hacking it up now. Have a Great Day and Be Safe.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Barrman

13G is what the system is designed for and work very, very well. They also can be swapped in with zero modifications.

60G plugs are self regulating. That means they heat up a little slower, but in theory will never, ever glow so long and hot that they swell or explode. If you have an override button or have a non working stock system that has any kind of button you push. 60G’s might be a better option for you. However, the electrical connector spade on the 60G’s is wider than the 13G. They either have to be cut down or the wire ends need to be changed on the glow plug wires.

Herls

13G is what the system is designed for and work very, very well. They also can be swapped in with zero modifications.

60G plugs are self regulating. That means they heat up a little slower, but in theory will never, ever glow so long and hot that they swell or explode. If you have an override button or have a non working stock system that has any kind of button you push. 60G’s might be a better option for you. However, the electrical connector spade on the 60G’s is wider than the 13G. They either have to be cut down or the wire ends need to be changed on the glow plug wires.
So the M1009 I bought was converted from a 24v system to a 12v system. It has a yellow push button for the glow plugs and 4 metal switches next to it for lights. So does that mean I should opt for the 60s?

cucvrus

So the M1009 I bought was converted from a 24v system to a 12v system. It has a yellow push button for the glow plugs and 4 metal switches next to it for lights. So does that mean I should opt for the 60s?
This news makes me very sad. And very sad for you as well. Good Luck. Who knows what and where they hacked the system. Poor CUCV.

nyoffroad

Ouch! If it were mine and I wasn't going to convert it back to stock, then yes I'd opt for the 60s. I believe you will need to change the wire ends that clip to the GP's themselves, wait and check as it may already have been done.

What lights are the 4 switches for? I hope not headlights!

Herls

Ouch! If it were mine and I wasn't going to convert it back to stock, then yes I'd opt for the 60s. I believe you will need to change the wire ends that clip to the GP's themselves, wait and check as it may already have been done.

What lights are the 4 switches for? I hope not headlights!
Ahahahaha yea.....one of them is for the headlights, two of them are for led lights on the grille and one is just to cut power on and off to those led lights. Yellow button is the glow plug heater

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ahahahaha yea.....one of them is for the headlights, two of them are for led lights on the grille and one is just to cut power on and off to those led lights. Yellow button is the glow plug heater
Worthy of Consideration...

Those four switches.
Your left knee if you are in a head-on collision.

Bad MoJo! In a big way...
Think about what would happen if your truck "became much shorter" front to back. If the space that the human occupies gets crushed those switches will chew up your knee.

87cr250r

Look at the terminals on your current glow plugs. If they are 1/8 inch wide, you will want to run the 13g plugs. If they are quarter inch wide, you will want to run the 60g plugs. If you want to run 60g plugs for the self-regulating, you can cut the connectors off your existing wiring and install quarter inch terminals. I suggest getting the Packard 56 series terminals as they tolerate more plugging and unplugging cycles without loosening then a hardware store spade terminal.

nyoffroad

Do you have AC in there? Or did the PO change out the bezel and do away with the black out light switches.

Herls

Do you have AC in there? Or did the PO change out the bezel and do away with the black out light switches.
Yup! It has a fully functioning heat and AC system installed by the previous owner. Also has all working dashboard speakers and two 6 1/2s in the walls infront of the rear seats

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks