• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14.00 x 20 retreads

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The Military has been using all sizes of retreads for years and according to them they are never to be used on the front steering axle. There was a CWO that was almost killed up here a few years back moving trucks between OMS shops because some knothead put retreads on the front and it blew.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it is DOT regulation also, no retreads on front, at least on commercial trucks.

steelandcanvas

Civilian mechanics at Fort Huachuca tried to put retreads on the front of my (not short) 45 pax bus, the Truckmaster went ballistic, I could hear him from across the street.

dilligaf13

I had that exact 14.00 recap tread on my deuce when I bought it. It was on the drive axle and worked ok. It wasn't that great off road (filled up with mud quick) and I'm not a fan of recaps so it found its way to the spare tire pile quickly.

Csm Davis

This truck will never see the road again cutting out up but it had a full set on it front and rear and a full tank of gasoline! Guess that's why the motor blew apart. :doh:

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recap ID'ing?

Stoopid question - but is it easy to tell these apart from 'virgin' rubber?

I just picked up two "new" NDCC's (bar grip) in 1100x20 from VintageIronMatt(sp?) and didn't even think to check or ask.... AND I GOT THEM TO GO UP FRONT.... :| wouldn't be too bad - but at 36600 lbs 'empty' that's a big risk.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Yes it is true NO recaps on steers but one thing most of you dont know is that most of the tires you see laying on the road are not recaps, a new tire will do the same thing if run low on air. Most recaps that come apart are due to driver error! ( low air) makes tire get hot and blow! New tires can blow too!!!! Just ask Ron! He made a wrecker fly!!!!!!

powerhouseduece

I've had 1600x20 Recaps on my truck for 2 years now with no real issues. I have put around 8k miles on them, highway, offroad and everything inbetween. The only thing that had me worried about them was airing down for offroad. The only thing I can tell you is they suck in the mud and snow, they are like a giant golfcart tire.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks