• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14.00R 20 Goodyear AT2A Any problems?

sgoeser

I am buying a set of Goodyear AT2A 14.00R 20 for my Bobbed M35A2. Some where I read that there has been some tire failures out there. Have I made a bad chose or am I OK? I can still change the order. I like the tread design for where I live for the mud and snow. Also I'll have them siped for the ice. The reason I'm going for this size I want to slow the RPM down and to be able to travel 65MPH when needed without over revving the engine to high. Help!

In my experience Goodyear tires seem to hold up better than the Michelins. The rubber compounds that Goodyear uses tend to dry less quickly. As with all tires though time and UV light (the sun) will break down the rubber and cause dry rot and separation. All tires have an expiration date, and the military sells the ones that have expired (those are the tires that we get). Not to worry though, those tires still have lots of life left in them. I have not heard too much about problematic tires. As long as the tires you bought are in good shape you should not worry no matter the brand. With that said like everything else tires need maintenance. Keep them clean, do not run them flat, do not park in the dirt, keep them pro-shined, and keep them out of the sun. If you follow all that your tires will last you a long time.

Last edited:

Gunzy

The Goodyears have a far superior sidewall design the all the Michelins. If Michelins sit flat for a little(not long at all) while the sidewalls crack and break open. The Goodyears handle sitting on flats a lot better without damage. Just my .02 from observation of the tires.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run those tires on the V100 and on one of my M931s. I like them, they ride smooth and wear well.

Cheers

MtnSnow

And just FYI....ALL of the 1400x20 tires are rated at 55 mph max. Although I have several hundred miles at 65 on both my Michelin XZL's as well as my Goodyear AT2A's

MtnSnow

btw Welcome from North Salt Lake. I am assuming the Brookside UT is the little community in West Jordan?

sgoeser

Thanks all for your help and information. No, Brookside is some what south from Enterprise which is west of Ceder City. I have a cattle Ranch/farm close to Baker Dam. I live in a mountain valley at 5000 feet. God's Country!

sgoeser

Hey MtnSnow, how do the AT-2A handle the snow? Also I am aware of the 55 limit. By the way tire speed limits are manufacture factored at full tire load for 30 minutes. I'll never meet 9,960 lbs per tire on a bobbed weighting 9000lbs. Are there any more of us in your area. Boyce is building the truck and the tires will be on his wheels.

MtnSnow

Ahh Nice area down there!

The AT2A do a decent job. I felt like the Michelin XZLs did better on the snow & ice due to tread design but the AT2As do better in the Mud.

Yes there is a few of us around the state. a few others in the St.George area that are on the Utah Military truck FB page. PM me your info if you use FB and I will add you to the FB page.

Gunzy

My job is a block away from Boyce and I know Mark pretty well. I have picked up several items from him and actually get a freebee once in a while. LOL

Hey MtnSnow, how do the AT-2A handle the snow? Also I am aware of the 55 limit. By the way tire speed limits are manufacture factored at full tire load for 30 minutes. I'll never meet 9,960 lbs per tire on a bobbed weighting 9000lbs. Are there any more of us in your area. Boyce is building the truck and the tires will be on his wheels.
If your having them siped then they should perform well in the snow. Siping is what gives a tire grip on ice. You still need deep tread for mud and snow. The combination your talking about should work well for you.

sgoeser

I have sold tires for years and am hoping I can find someone near Boyce that can sip those heavy tires. My main problem is I live so far away. I travel 700 miles for one trip there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks