• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14 Bolt in a m1009

motormayhem

I may be able to trade/get my hands on a 14 bolt out of a '93 Silverado 3/4 ton. The guy says it is the latest and greatest in the 14 bolts with lots more webbing for structural strength. I still need to measure to make sure, but I believe since it is 3/4 ton it will bolt in. Anybody have an opinion about the 90's 14 bolts good/bad what? Also what would be a fair price for a complete drum to drum setup? And finally how can I tell the full floater from the semi-floater?

Thanks,
Miles

davo727

I have a 93 C2500 with the 9.5 inch semi floater 14 bolt. 3.43 ratio. A million times better than a 10 bolt for sure. I have 240K miles on mine.

At about 200k I changed the fluid for the first time :-D and I replaced the side gear and spider gear sets due to some pitting on the spider gears - parts kit cost $130. easy job.

The ring and pinion were still perfect, didnt touch them. Still original wheel bearings- perfect.

kennyw

get a 14ff and get adapters from 8 bolt to six
That is easier said than done. The bolt patterns interfere with each other and the hub would have to be machined down for the smaller wheel center opening. Much cheaper to buy a 6 lug 14SF and move the perches to fit.

If you don't plan to go with very large tires the SF is plenty strong and offers a better ground clearance. If you do plan on anything larger than 37" tires, go with the 8 lug 14FF and matching Dana 60 front.

kennyw

dude ive seen it done i know people with laths...my friend did it on his 95 half ton :)
I know it is possible, but to the average person without any machining equipment it would be cost prohibitive. I've designed my own 8 to 6 lug adapters... but by the time you look at the cost it is not worth the investment when a 6 lug 14SF will do the job well and with a lot less hassle. Then add to that the fact that anything less than a 37" tire doesn't have much ground clearance with the 14FF so that big axle becomes an anchor off road.

If you are going bigger than 37" tires the 14SF may not be what you want because you will want the matching Dana 60 front anyway, so 8 lugs will be better.

Now, for this guys original question, the axle he is looking at will not be a bolt in. Moving the perches is easy enough though. If you don't have the tools, any competent welder can do it for you for a price.

Last edited:

Cucvnut

all i was saying the option is there also. nothing wrong with my opinion :p but your wrong on the cost being prohibited when i said i know people with lathes i meant i cold help him out if needed. don't be so quick to chastise people buddy ;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
15" 8 lug wheels would sure be easier, faster and cheaper. Adapters from 8 lug to 6 lug on a FF will also require machining the wheel centers as the FF hub is bigger. I've done the swap countless times. Probably the best alternative in the long run is the swap the front to 8 lug as well. 3/4 ton parts aren't that expensive and then you will have bigger brakes all the way around.

Rock_Solid

They actually make 6 lug conversion hubs for the ff 14b. I think i saw them for 800. Also motor, the "latest and greatest" 14b is in the 01' and up chevy HD's. They are 11.5" ring gear. Parts haven't caught up to them yet, they are still expensive. I'd still prefer the older ff 14b's. Cost effective and damn near indestructable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks