• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14 Bolt oil fill

USAWEAPON777

Well i went to change the rear diff oil on my m1008 and it seems that in its 24 years of life it never has had its fluid changed. It took me 4 hours of scraping and spraying just to get the gasket off and now that i have it all back together the fill plug is pretty much fused to the axle. I started yanking on it and it started to trash the plug so i stopped. I soaked it down with pb blaster and I'll have to see tomorrow if its any better. Is there any other way to fill it, short of getting a cover with a fill hole? Could i fill it through the vent tube?

Help appreciated

hemi348

The laste 90's 14 bolts had fill plugs in the covers. You might be able to get one at a bone yard. You can fill thru the vent.
x2

Don't bother picking up another diff cover. If the plug doesnt come off just fill it up through the vent. It is alittle time consuming but it gets the job done.

acmunro

I've filled through the vent tube before in a pinch. I ended up servicing the axle at a later date and welded a
bolt to the fill plug and turned it out easy. Those plugs seem pretty soft. The heat of the welding process helps
get it out.

4bogginchevys

I posted a reply in a recent thread about this same thing, and listed rquired parts to put a drain plug in a 14 bolt diff cover....should also work for a fill plug.good luck:p

USAWEAPON777

SUCCESS!!! I still couldn't get it to turn with the wrench but when talking with my dad about it today turns out he had an impact wrench. Put on the proper adapter and nailed it with a mini sludge hammer couple times and waalah it came loose. Finally done the supposedly easy gear oil change which ended taking me a few hours. Thanks guys for the advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks