• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1400-20 rims and tires

jward1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
got 14-20's on my 923 and had one going flat. question is do you have to run the beadlock? would like to leave out, its a b...h getting out and putting in. and do you really need that special tool to press the rim and ring together when installing the ring nuts? new at this and right now wish i had regular 11-20s.

rrrr

Its very easy for a little material to get into the ring area and cause a slow leak. I had several and would pull them apart and clean the area and reassemble. No issues since.

cbvet

My M813 has 1400r20s with beadlocks. I had an o ring leaking on 1. I just took half of the wheel off, cleaned everything, and installed a new O ring from Memphis. Left the beadlock in place.
Not hard, just heavy.

Scarecrow1

I don't mean to steel this thread but I have the 1400-20s also but do these tires have tube in them because if not why not use a fixaflat product for a slow leak. I know many off road people use slime in the tubeless tires even before there is a problem with a flat in the middle of nowhere . I understand if it has a tube but if not what would it hurt ?

emr

Tubeless... A ton and a half of stop leak i would think, Like a gallon? at least? And i doubt it would work on the rubber O ring,just a guess , but I think it takes motion for it to work and that would spray it on the outer walls where leak problems would occur that they were designed to stop, And the O ring is in side. And since the mil and contractors with bigger tires dont use that stuff that I ever heard of , there well may be a reason... but hey if someone wants to pump that much in there and try it , I am sure we would like to know :) I will take a guess at this too, i think it might "hurt" the wallet of buying that much slime, and then driving the tire low, and if it does not work will ruin the tires side wall as we know they are prone to damage when to low on air, Just giving cons I can think of from your pros, ...:)

cbvet

I guess Fix-A-Flat might work, but kinda doubt it.
It's really made to plug a puncture in the tread, where the sealer will be thrown by the centrifugal force while the tire is spinning.
I've tried it on wheel barrow & lawn cart bead leaks, & it didn't help at all.

thehaas

freind just got 295 85 20 for a 929 ,we took rim halfs apart just wondering .should you always replace seal between rims ,can you leave bead lock out ,biggest question would it be better to put tube in tire like you do on tractor tires.my duece has tubes in tires and had no problems for years.what could be drawbacks with tubes

jward1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well got the tire fixed. new 3/8 o-ring cleaned up everything, slicked up the o-ring,rim,ring and tire and went together perfectly. left that pain in the ass bead lock out tire inflated great. holding air no leaks so far.

Csm Davis

Tubeless... A ton and a half of stop leak i would think, Like a gallon? at least? And i doubt it would work on the rubber O ring,just a guess , but I think it takes motion for it to work and that would spray it on the outer walls where leak problems would occur that they were designed to stop, And the O ring is in side. And since the mil and contractors with bigger tires dont use that stuff that I ever heard of , there well may be a reason... but hey if someone wants to pump that much in there and try it , I am sure we would like to know :) I will take a guess at this too, i think it might "hurt" the wallet of buying that much slime, and then driving the tire low, and if it does not work will ruin the tires side wall as we know they are prone to damage when to low on air, Just giving cons I can think of from your pros, ...:)
They do sell slime in gallons just for big tires and it is cheaper to buy that way if you run it in a lot of tires or big tires.

emr

Csm, Thanks I guessed they would,And maybe now remember seeing it. but I have to say I have used a few different products, slime one of them, over the years and found mixed results using them for what intended,And as directed. I find the fast fixs a crap shoot at best, But with that said I carry fix a flat products in a couple of my work trailers and trucks, Along with plug kits, As for an O ring leak i seriously doubt it, In fact would put some cash on that one, But to get home I will sure try them first,It may hold long enough to get home, Thats a big win for me sometimes :) I also think a spare is better than that stuff too, But like most people dont always have one, In fact my tool trailers just dont have room for them, All good, Some think that stuff is a permanent fix, and a fix all, That i know is not true, Thank you for the info, In a pinch you would find me dumping it in to get some where if i was in the situation that thats all I had to get home :) Always good to know....

lakeydna

The slime is great stuff, haven't had a flat in three years on the skid steer. Won't seal the O-ring and if you have an A2 with CTIS, probably would cause some problems.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am new to bead locks. My question: is it possible to break down the bead on the tire without taking the thing to a tire shop? I have 5 ton bead locks with 1400s.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks