• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1400x20s on M813

M215

Hello SS,
I finally have the 1400x20s mounted on the Hemitt rims, hubs flipped and tires installed under the truck. My first road trip was at 50 psi and the truck was all over the road. Increasing the pressure to 60 psi helped. Tomorrow I'll try 75 psi.

Any recommendations on tire pressurs?

Thanks, Karl

area52

What kind/tread on the 14.00's? I have heard ( no experience myself) that the higher the pressure should result in a better ride/control.

Oh yea...

nopics

jwaller

unless you just like extra work, flipping the hubs was a large waste of time. flipping the rims is much quicker and easier.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Karl, in the summer I run 60psi in the front tires and 50 in the back. That works nicely in Texas where the tires heat up quite a bit on the road. In winter I bump them all up 5psi more. That is for empty or lightly loaded on Michelin XL's, gives good control without wandering, but doesn't launch you every time you hit a bump. I'm told the Goodyear type tires run a higher pressure, but have no personal experience there.

Just FYI- The Marines didn't flip the hubs on their 809 or 939 series (mine is stock Marine setup, came out of service as-is), they just installed the rims deep dish in like Jwaller suggested.

Cheers

emr

I run 65 in my 14;s and they are just fine all around, i am trying 75 in the front just for they hay but have no time on them yet. my mich XL;s in duels on the deuce i run 50 rear and 60 front, sweet ride.I watch for wear alot, and that is what i go by mostly, i want good even wear and i rotate em also,

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The CTIS on my 923A2 kept them at 60 psi and that did fine for the trip to Aberdeen and back at ~60 mph. They didn't get too hot and they wore evenly.

M215

unless you just like extra work, flipping the hubs was a large waste of time. flipping the rims is much quicker and easier.
I agree, it was a lot of work, but it was what I wanted. Flipping the rear hubs allows the rims to all face the same way, bolts out with the hubs flush with the face of the rims.

Currently I have the tires at 75 psi, leave tomorrow for the M221 recovery, guess I'll play with the pressure until I find the right spot.

Karl

Attachments

panzerwillie

What do you guys mean when you said flipping the HUBS i can see the difrents on the rear tires with the rims looking like in the front but can't quiet figure out flipping the HUBS term

The hubs have the stud flange near one side (rear hubs). When a truck runs duals the stud flange, on the hub, is nearer to the truck center, with about 4" of hub sticking out thru the rims. When the hubs are flipped for singles, the hub is removed, studs are removed and installed in the oposite side of the stud flange and the hub is reinstalled with the stud flange mounted outward. Leaving the hub flush with the rim.
Or in some cases the rims can be installed backwards.
I'm sure this has come across clear as mud.

charlietango

does anyone have a picture of Michelin 12.00R20 mounted on factory wheels on a 2.5 ton truck?

*i realize this is the 5 ton forum but found this thread using search, sorry about the little truck question here*

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got Goodyear 16.00x20's and the steering is very touchy, and bumps make the truck change direction a little. The advice was to check the caster. I have not done this yet, too dang hot.. In my case it will have to be done at a shop as I don';t have the big tools necessary to mess with this.. spring seat wedges and the like. I am not sure what those are, have to look at the TMs. The other thing is toe-in.

This thread has a lot of good info:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/49875-touchy-steering-m818-16-00x20-s.html

jimmcld

I've got Goodyear 16.00x20's and the steering is very touchy, and bumps make the truck change direction a little. The advice was to check the caster. I have not done this yet, too dang hot.. In my case it will have to be done at a shop as I don';t have the big tools necessary to mess with this.. spring seat wedges and the like. I am not sure what those are, have to look at the TMs. The other thing is toe-in.

This thread has a lot of good info:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/49875-touchy-steering-m818-16-00x20-s.html

My 11.00 radials are touchy also. Let us know if the caster works.