• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15 dollars!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to sell a lot of H1 stuff on the hml (even before the hummer dealerships opened). I advertised that i would beat any vendor price by 10%. Everyone threw a fit that i wasn't paying to sell on the site.
They especially got pissed when i called out a popular vendor for listing fake retail prices, then showing a sale price and how much buyers save. When his “sale price” was still higher than actual retail. Maybe they got pissed because i told them they had been wasting money. Who knows.
I left.
i felt like me saving them hundreds of dollars each was my contribution. They didn’t. If i paid there to sell, i would have raised my prices. Then there would be no reason to sell.
Action has always been a trusted and helpful member. The advice he has given me has been priceless.

Autonomy_Lost

I used to sell a lot of H1 stuff on the hml (even before the hummer dealerships opened). I advertised that i would beat any vendor price by 10%. Everyone threw a fit that i wasn't paying to sell on the site.
They especially got pissed when i called out a popular vendor for listing fake retail prices, then showing a sale price and how much buyers save. When his “sale price” was still higher than actual retail. Maybe they got pissed because i told them they had been wasting money. Who knows.
I left.
i felt like me saving them hundreds of dollars each was my contribution. They didn’t. If i paid there to sell, i would have raised my prices. Then there would be no reason to sell.
Good to hear from you Action. Dont be a stranger.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I left.
I totally get that. The main reason we went this path is the history we had with the classified sections of the past. Long ago we had a classifieds add on that stood apart from the forum. The problem was that people would register and never come back to update their ads or even respond to interested parties. Then there was the scammers as well (I still fight them to this day). While I wouldn't put it past some of them to pay the upgrade cost to gain the ability to list fake items. It will deter most of them as they're not going to spend money to try to steal money. That was the main factor behind how things work here. And honestly that's the only way it makes sense. The forum is here to share information. We're not here to charge people to gain that information. We want to do that part FREELY. Using the site to sell/engage in commerce, it's only fair that we ask for a small amount to help offset the costs of keeping the site going.

Total clarity here, I have no insight into the finance side of things for the site. (I asked for it to be this way, my focus/goal/intent is simply keeping the site going!) I can see that between licensing costs, server, and hosting costs, I can see it being a five figure cost per year easily. (Just looking at the costs I know about) Mainly due to the fact the forum is HUGE when it comes to space.

I don't want to guilt anyone into upgrading. Just sharing what I know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks