• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

151 stuck

Lindsaym151

I go out this morning to get something out of my 151 and its gone!
I start freaking out and notice it in the rear of the property.
My daughter and her friends thought it would be cool to drive it on the ATV course I have!
This was done after I went to bed@ 10 pm.

It's gonna be a looong hot summer for her!IMG_0871.jpgIMG_0874.jpgIMG_0883.jpg

barefootin

Well, at least she isn't like most kids just sitting and texting, chatting, or playing video games.... Looks like an opportunity to teach her a lesson in recovery and then negotiating hazards in the dark :)

jedawson1

Definitely a learning opportunity for her. Good luck making it constructive, anger clouds the mind.

Seems a fitting punishment would be to give her and anyone else in the 151 some snatch blocks and rope to learn hands on extraction. Then it needs washed, and the holes filled. Next time she will think of just how much hard work she caused herself.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I agree with the posts above, go easy on her Dad!!:D She didn't want you to lose any sleep and was watching out for you.:roll:

Look at it this way....compared to what trouble a lot of kids get into these days, I call that a sorta minor infraction of the::rules:

I recommend a light punishment to include a well supervised spick and span cleaning/lubing of the jeepie followed by some drivers training and a crash course on keeping Pops informed of use of vehicles/equipment.:papabear:

FrankUSMC

We all did stupid things, but, most of us grew up before camera phones! so we dodge that bullet.
Yea, go easy, remember, one day, she will be picking out your nursing home.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Lindsaym151

I never got mad!
I did make her clean it and get it out!.
She's an all A student ! and perfect kid!
The thing that upset me was she could have gotten hurt and no one would have known!
Oh ya she is only 12 years old!

jedawson1

HaHaHa, your twelve year old daughter can operate a historical vehicle with manual transmission and no power steering. Tell me you're not secretly "proud as all get out". Your right the real concern is her getting hurt and no one knowing, but now that is out of the way, you're really gloating. I would be.

Lindsaym151

OH YAA,
Next week im taking her to the national forest and log some serious miles!
Now I need to make sure I lock up the Deuce!
I saw her in it the other day trying to figure out the shift pattern!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad that it turned out well! I agree about the injury and such without anyone knowing. Hard to accept sometimes. Glad you were a Dad whom instructs, not destructs! Congrats. They sell locking door handles for the deuce. LOL Battery disconnect, anyone? Cute kid. I stole and rolled the family car at the ripe age of thirteen, so I have NO ground to stand on! (no drivers badge for that one, but did get a medal for courage, cause I called my folks and told them, BEFORE they could find out!) Dad was a former D.I. (it wasn't purty)

God bless and Happy Father's Day!

Tony

61sleepercab

I had to keep a straight face when my boy was driving his lawn tractor(no mower deck and slow drive pulley) around the barn lot when he made a lap STEERING WITH HIS FEET WITH HIS HANDS FOLDED BEHIND HIS HEAD AND LEANED WAY BACK. He got to learn how to park. A friend and her sister used to borrow her DAD's Willys Jeep and drive it around the farm and then park it exactly where he had parked it for the night. They got found out when he ran out of gas going to work the next dad.

3dAngus

That girl Rocks!
Wish my Dad had a jeep I could go out and "test drive" when I was her age.

From the looks of things, either she didn't have the lights on, or, she was taking it out for a REAL test drive.
I got a feeling that girl isn't afraid of nothing.
Bravo!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I foresee an excellent opportunity. First let her drive it, then make her do the -10 stuff. Later on she can do the -20 and up stuff. Agree the self recovery thing would be a great lesson.

ducer

Be glad you didn't have a kid like me. When I was 12 years old I decided one day my dad's 74 maroon Olds Delta 88 (which had faded to white by1978) needed a new paint job. Step 1 was to steal the car when he was at work. Step 2 was to do as many burnouts as I could smoking the rear tires into oblivion with cords showing (tires were 1 month old) as I took it around the block to put it in the garage. Step three put car in garage and strip all the chrome pieces, emblems and bumpers. Step 4 sand all the faded and checked paint off as quick as I could before dad got home from work.
Dear old dad to his credit decided to use this as a teaching moment. I could see on his face that he was kinda mad and his voice could not form words, at least not any I could understand but I learned real quick the message he was trying to convey. He taught me with a little head start I could out run him but only for about a block. He taught me how to take a a$$ whipping in front of all the neighbors. And I could indeed repair small rust holes properly with metal, straighten a small crease in the LR quarter panel, dry and wet sand the car several times to make it nice and straight, prime and paint and finally reassemble it in less than a week (7 days exactly to the minute) with the proper motivation (fear of death). A week after it was all over with he called me in the house sat me down and handed me my first ever new nice and crisp $100 dollar bill which I tried to hand back to him but he would not take for the rear tires but he said he already took his cut for them. Then for the first time he told me I did a **** of a job and we laughed about the whole thing. He however quit laughing when by the end of the summer I kicked him out of the garage because I had taken it over painting all the neighbors cars. :shock: With the understanding I would not drive them. God that was a great summer!

I should however note 2 of the neighborhood old timers I had been working with were teaching me body repair and refinishing and I was reading all I could get my hands on and buying tools with the money from my paper route and grass cutting jobs. So I had all the equipment and tools pops just did not know it or what I knew about auto refinishing.

Denny

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lindsay - you have your hands full! She is VERY intelligent, and she LOVES green iron! :) I'm just as proud of you as I am of her! Not too many people know how to start a M151A2, let alone drive a stick with no synchro's on first and reverse. Have you thought about letting her drive the MUTT to school after she gets her license?

I will be in the same boat as you in about 6 years! I've already started teaching my 6 year old girl about 'her' M1009! She loves her truck - she hugs and kisses it. She loves the sound of that 6.2L. She loves playing in the dirt with her truck! She loves riding in my wife's Mighty Mite. Man, I am in trouble....

gunboy1656

My 6 year old was sitting in my deuce the other day (I was in pass seat looking for something), when all of a sudden I hear a familiar buzz. I look over and he is trying to start my truck. He was about to hit the start button when I stopped him. Guess it is time for a battery cut-off.

Pretty impressed that a teen knows how to drive a stick anymore. I never learned til the Army threw me in a deuce.

dbhighlander

Hello I just signed on a few days ago so I just now saw your post about the stuck 151. I have owned mine since 1974, We live on 50 acres and back up to 1500 acres of national forest with logging roads. When my 3 children were younger, 12yr old daughter ,9 and 7yr old brothers, I would come from work and find the Jeep gone. I would ask my wife where the jeep was and she would point out the back yard and say with the kids. They would always bring it back clean it up and kept it running. They were the only kids in their school that knew how to drive a standard.
No point in getting mad just make them help on all the repairs and rebuilds on the other vehicles. Daughter actually pulled and rebuilt the standard transmission on her Nissan a few years later.

David

davidhdale

Man you are very lucky they teach them to drive automatics. That are easy to drive the need to teach standers so with that said your daughter is an ace in the hole. can she teach my 23 year old lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks