• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15x10 Steel Wheels on a Deuce

ford381stroker

I have a question. Today I was at the trailer/big truck store and eyeballed some rims sitting in their backroom on the rack. They turned out to be 6 lug that would fit the deuce bolt pattern. I priced them and was extremely surprised at the price.

These are rated for fork-lifts and agricultural use and the salesman said these would definately hold the weight of the Deuce.

I do not have my Deuce and I can't verify that 15" rims will fit if the factory Deuce brakes are still on the axles. The Rockwell axles I have on my rock rig I stripped the brakes off and flipped the hubs in and then bolted on a set of 15" wheels with 44's and they work great.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have not done a search yet but wanted to post this up while it was fresh on my mind.

Thanks,

NO you can not run a 15" wheel on a rockwell with stock brakes. the brakes are 17" diameter and you can only run a minimum of 20" wheel on a stock deuce axle with drums. if you take drums off you can. but that kinda defeats the purpose on a deuce

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just put on Blazer axles with chrome rims! (or has that been done before?) :D

ford381stroker

Does anyone run Pinion brakes? I am running Willwood Pinion brakes on my Rock Rig and it stops on a dime (actually stops too well). I remember seeing them on some of USA 6x6 rigs but I know how everyone feels about that subject. I ordered many parts from them (which took forever to get) but their parts were good quality.

i wouldnt do it on a deuce it weights to much. plus you dont know what way it will pull cause the axles are open differential. please if your gonna run or drive a deuce run the stock brakes or if you cant stand drums go to disk brakes.. DONT take off the brakes just to get smaller rims to fit... for little more if not same cost of running pinions and also getting the smaller rims you can get a good set of nice 20x11 ODiron wheels on it. the truck is to big and heavy to chance peoples lives with pinions just to get a smaller rim on it

Elwenil

I don;t know about illegal, but they are definitely a dumb idea. When trying to stop the drive shaft, you get the multiplication of the gearing in effect so stopping a truck at 50 MPH becomes trying to stop a vehicle well over that and with only one brake per axle unless you put one on both sides of the differential. Even then you over heat the pinion and burn up the pinion seals. They are fine for a trail rig that never sees 35 MPH, but not a good idea for anything more.

FreightTrain

Banned
yes,they are infact illegal in nearly ALL states if not all states for street use.Only way you can use smaller rims is to use 6 wheel disk brakes.And then where will you find 16" tires that will hold this kinda weight(gotta think,not just 7 tons but how much shock weight when you hit a bump plus side forces,plus load).Not to mention smaller tires means less speed.instead of 55 you MIGHT get 40MPH wound out.Oversize mud tires won't have NEAR the load capacity.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
what about a pinion brake as a E brake only, more of a holding brake then a stoping brake. the military E brake is marginable at best. on the 819 it is a joke. it could be spring on air off

73m819 said:
what about a pinion brake as a E brake only, more of a holding brake then a stoping brake. the military E brake is marginable at best. on the 819 it is a joke. it could be spring on air off
works great for a setup like that. they make a perfect caliper for that setup and works wonders.

Yes there is. I produce 2 styles. one with parking brake and one without parking brake. if you put it on a 5 ton you would want to put it on the very back axle as the drive flange is actually machined a little bit and you would not wanta put it inline with the driveshafts.

Now that you talk about this i might have to look at this and maybe make one for my M62. Time will tell

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
what would a air off spring on unit cost, thats whare i would put it, the back flange

HMM i dont make a air actuated system but give me a day or two to look into it. i think it can be adjusted to work with a setup like that just have to find a way to adapt it. The setup right now is just cable actuated. (like the stock E-brake) You got some wheels turning now 73M819

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a standard spring loaded air chamber could be connected to the actuating arm, it would just be a matter of making a bracket comming off the axle strong enough the handle the touque

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if you get a set up for the 5t, i beleive there is a market for it, just look how well your E brake on your m62 works

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I know all my old jeeps had pinon brakes for E brake but of couse they still had all four wheels stopped by drums. I can remember driving with it on a few times as a youngster and it was not a hard one to overcome even with a flat head four. The one you are talking about making for a five ton is a very interesting one, what size disc do you use and what caliper?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks