• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16.00 R20's (52"tall) on a deuce! pic's too

firefighter_930_aj

[color=cyan></FONT>
<FONT]That truck looks great MM. I am curious as to where the rims came from. I want to go to single tires on the back of my deuce and I was told that the centers from my rims would have to be cut out and used to make the new rims. This didn't sound right to me, so, I figured I would find someone who made the change and I would ask him/her.[/color]

M1075

AJ-

As you know, the deuce stock rims have the offset for the duals. If you want to run singles (and have your tires in the same track) you have at least three options:

1) Flip the rear hubs, mount stock rims in the back like the front. You will have the most narrow stance this way. I think Longhunter 7 has it set up this way with 1100R20 Michelin XLs.
2) Leave the rear hubs as is, get 2 new rims with appropriate backspacing, and only run the outer tires in the back. I did this with my M52A2.
3) Flip the rear hubs, get six M35A3 or other custom beadlocak rims. I did this with M35 and working on my M36 now.

You just need to determine if you want a wide or narrow stance, whether you want to run Bias or Radial tires, whether you want tubes or tubeless, whether you want split rims or beadlocks, whether you want a wider and/or taller tire (aka Super Single). You can see pics of my trucks in the Deuce Mod & 5 ton forums under "Pics of Super Singles". Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll see if I can help.

big daddy

That truck is wild! I'm curious as to the suspension arms on the rear, they didn't look homemade are they 5 ton or some other truck? The looks he must get when driving it, probably stops traffic! More pics please, some off road would be awsome!

Monster Man

Firefighter A.J. said:
[color=cyan></FONT>
<FONT]That truck looks great MM. I am curious as to where the rims came from. I want to go to single tires on the back of my deuce and I was told that the centers from my rims would have to be cut out and used to make the new rims. This didn't sound right to me, so, I figured I would find someone who made the change and I would ask him/her.[/color]
that's one option, but not necessary. As M1075 stated, there are three much easier routes. The max tire size for stock deuce rims is 12", as stamped right on the rim. 12.00-20's are also the max standard tire height you can run on the stock deuce, so you have no worries about finding a larger rim. Hot Rod Deuce did cut two rims and weld them together to make one wide one to fit the 16.00's, but also had to make custom springs and bogie arms. You won't need to do any of that. I suggest flipping the hub and running the wheel facing in like your inner dual is now. It brings out the best chassis geometry and puts your tires in the same track for better off road performance, but does admittedly look a little odd.

The "single" wheels are different than dual wheels, and I had a very hard time finding any. I located one set of six, but it had junk tires mounted to them in which case I would have had to pay freight, plus the wheels then swap off the junk tires and dispose of them. I passed for now. They are the best way to go, not only in looks but geometry since the backspacing is not as severe, and you get the front wheels to fit just inside of the fenders

To flip the hub, you take off the wheels, take off the hub, pound out the studs, flip the hub around, put them in the other side facing the opposite direction, put it back on. That's pretty simplified but Bjorn can give you every detail as he wrote the book on it in MVM [:)]

Monster Man

Big Daddy said:
That truck is wild! I'm curious as to the suspension arms on the rear, they didn't look homemade are they 5 ton or some other truck? The looks he must get when driving it, probably stops traffic! More pics please, some off road would be awsome!
Hot Rod Deuce made them out of DOM tubing after pressing the bushings out of the deuce ones. I'd think you could use a 5 ton bogie arm and spring combo, that is if the springs are not wider than the deuce, and will fit in the locating tabs on the rockwells? Am I mistaken?

firefighter_930_aj

Thanks for the info MM. That helps to keep me planted firmly on the ground! [^] I have to get back in the groove to work on these things as it has been 30 years since I did. :banghead:

FSBruva

Monster Man said:
The "single" wheels are different than dual wheels, and I had a very hard time finding any. I located one set of six, but it had junk tires mounted to them in which case I would have had to pay freight, plus the wheels then swap off the junk tires and dispose of them. I passed for now.
MM, Where did you find your set, and how much were they?

M1075, I know you mentioned that you have a couple sets of custom beadlocks. In the event that you have sold yours by the time I get around to buying my deuce, where did you get them made?

Thanks a lot!!

Matt

M1075

I got mine made at USA 6x6. I like them and they only charge $250, but be prepared to wait for up to six months after you send your money! Not the best customer service in the world. Just send a PM to SpicerGear and ask him about his experiences there.

Monster Man

MM, Where did you find your set, and how much were they?

I see there has been some confusion since I posted the picture- it's not actually my truck, but I do like it a lot! [:)] It's Hot Rod Deuce that did all the mods, including the bogie arms and custom wheels. You'll have to refer to him, but I don't mind being his spokesman :lol:

FSBruva

MM - I knew it wasn't your truck, but they way you wrote your post, it sounded like you had found some wheels but weren't buying them yet. Next time you can put quotes around it so we(or maybe just I) know it's not you!!! [:)]

M1075 - No thanks on the dissertation about USA 6x6.... I think I pretty much get the gist of how they do business. Not to sleight spicergear's experiences or anything, I just remember reading a couple tirades elsewhere in this forum. And, I doubt they have changed their style too drastically since then.

I was wondering what other vendors were out there that don't have the same customer service drawbacks that USA 6x6 does. But, if they are the best price, nothing to be done about that.

Thanks
Matt

Monster Man

ooohhhhhh....... THOSE wheels [:)] Yeah, that was actually ME that was going to buy a set but didn't. the single wheels like this:

[thumbzup]

czechsix

Man, quite a truck HRD. You're going to have to get used to driving it way up there :) How tall is it with those meats? Have you done any calcs as to sidehill angles?

I have enough trouble humping 14.00x20's around - I don't even wanna think what those 16.00's weigh. Might be worth pumping 5 gallons or so tire sealant spooge in them, just to head off troubles.

As to other wheel sources - I've forgotten his name, but there's someone that's been referred to on the MVlist that does SS wheels. More or less locally (left coast), the guys I'm going to go with are called Stockton Wheel. They will do anything. Any size, any offset, etc. They're on the web, google for them. From what I remember, some years back I was quoted $150 per wheel for some custom Unimog wheels. I'm sure they've gone up, but it seemed quite reasonable at the time.

hot rod deuce

Thank you MM you just got yourself a job as my spokes man! You do a fine job, think you know more ab out my truck than i do!

Im tryin to get a few picks with the motor in but i took it out to finish up makin a through out and pilot bearing set up for the clutch and decided to roll a set of rods and mains in just to be safe. I hope to have it back in by the end of the week with any luck. ill get a couple pics of the power steering and mounts tacked on along with a close up of the rims wendsday morning.

Trango

Stazworks ROCKS.

They made my 203-205 doubler in the rockbuggy and have sold some wheels to a local guy around here.

He has friends in the trucking biz so shipping is sometimes VERY cheap.

It's two "John"s - John Staz and another John. Great guys to deal with.

Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks