• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16.00R20 on M923?

Iggy913

I realize this has been discussed before to a certain degree, but I'm still in need of some clarification. I've got an M923A2 and I'm interested in possibly running the 16.00R20s on it. Do they fit?

With some simple math it seems like I potentially have an issue: 14.00R20s = 48" tall and 16.00R20s = 53" tall. That's a 5" difference and it looks like I only have about 4" between the tandems. When the 16.00s are mounted on wheels is their overall dimension changed so that they actually fit? I've seen some photos of trucks on this site with the 16.00s on a tandem axle truck so I have to believe I'm missing something?

Also it appears from reading previous posts that there will be a rubbing issue on the front axle if I use the factory 5 ton wheels? In order to avoid that I should run HEMTT wheels? To the guys running these wheels are you just running them on the front or are you replacing all six?

Lastly does a 16.00 fit up in the spare tire location?

Like I mentioned in the beginning, this is only something I'm considering, I'm not sure the slight increase in ground clearance is worth sacrificing the power loss. It just seems like there are a lot of deals out there on the 16.00s vs the 14.00s for new tire purchase.

Thanks everyone.

Iggy

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe they will fit on the truck, although I have never done it so I hope someone who has will confirm this. I do not believe that the 1600 spare will fit in the 1400 spare tire carrier. The A2s are not overpowered as they are and you are going to rob it of even more power...not sure you will like the power, or lack of it. I don't believe your area is very hilly, so you may be OK.

Iggy913

I'm pretty sure I'm not in need of the 16.00s for the ground clearance and slight increase in offroad performance. To be honest any increase in offroad performance due to the larger tires may be negated by the powertrain loss they create. I was just checking out various sources for tires and found quite a few deals on 16.00s vs 14.00s and thought it might be worth my effort to go to the larger tire due to the money savings potentially.

350TacoZilla

I have 16.00's but my truck is bobbed, they do rub when turning fully on fmtv rims unless you run a small spacer (I'm running the center cut out of another wheel as a spacer then using thimbles from rear for lugs.) If you are thinking about offroad performance also I would consider the FMTV 395 goodyears, you can pick them up on rims already and just bolt them on in place of your 14.00's.

162tcat

I hope to have my 16.00R20s mounted on my HEMTT rims and installed on the truck in the next week. I'll post an update when done.

dburt

Maby you will never be far from help if you blow a front tire, but I sure would hate to have to dismount the blown tire and then remount the spare to make it out of a remote place or back home in time for supper. Although the regular 1100X20's are bad enough to try and wrestle around, I'm just wondering if even two strong types could wrestle the much bigger 1600's in a pinch. :-?

TacticalDoc

singles aren't that hard to take of and put back on. you use a shovel under the tire to lift it up. the hard part is getting it off the bed. I would use a small pickup truck crane to get it on the ground

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 8 new Michelin 16.00X20's on hemtt rims and I was thinking about putting them on my 923A2. I am concerned since there is a few inches between the Michelin 14.00R20 rear tires. Has someone actually put these on a 923A2 without modification?

RustyM923

I have 8 new Michelin 16.00X20's on hemtt rims and I was thinking about putting them on my 923A2. I am concerned since there is a few inches between the Michelin 14.00R20 rear tires. Has someone actually put these on a 923A2 without modification?

If you have 4" clearance with 14.00R20's, you're good to go.

(be sure to post some pics of your machine!)

bill2444

I had a friend who ran them on his 923a2 ( tandem rear )
They looked really nice on the truck, but saped up a lot of power. I ran circles around him in the mud with my deuce on ndt's

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know if they will fit and be correct. I do believe that if you use the Hemtt rims you track will be off a bit front to rear. The combat rims for the 5 ton I think would be a better choise. I also think the 14's would be a better choise. I do like the 16's on a bobed 5 ton truck. Yea 16's and Hemtt rims can be found cheaper but cheaper don't make it right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks