• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16.00s On Stock Deuce Wheels

buzzinhalfdozzen

My first thread, be gentile.....

Why do I see on here every once in a while "you can't fit 16.00s on a stock duece wheel"? I have 4 in my garage that I mounted up (can email pic if you don't believe me).

Do "they" mean you shouldn't mount them on a stock wheel because of the narrow rim width? Or do "they" mean it's physically impossible?

Mine were for an offroad project vehicle, not intended for onroad use.

Just wondering, thanks in advance for answers.

spicergear

Shouldn't because the tire is designed for a 10" min width wheel...and especially 'on road.' Off road, run what ya brung! [thumbzup]

Oh, another argument is the pressure on the lockring...(which I'm not hoping to open a can of worms but...) unless you physically tear the bead so it's allowed to expand and thusly allow the lockring to expand and come off...it won't. That's the beauty of the military lockring wheels vs the old commercial style lockring wheels that were not that type of really, really, really positive retention design.

5ton4ever

The stock deuce wheels were designed for a 9 inch wide tire. You can make a 16 fit and inflate it, but it doesn't make it right. The tire beads are designed to sit on the rim a certain way, and I would hate for the split ring to come off at an extremely bad time.:(

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I have driven a deuce with big tires on stock rims.....it wandered all over the road (truck did not wander with NDT's on it) and bumped my pucker factor up to about 8.5.

Let common sense prevail.

buzzinhalfdozzen

My name is Patrick

I should have mentioned that the wheel/tire combo was going under a chevy pick-em-up truck with rockwells. Not a duece. Would probably have seen 5-10psi at the most. Like I said before, no street use.

flyxpl

The low pressure could be more dangerous since the pressure is what keeps the lock ring on . But guys are putting the 14 tires on stock rims which are also designed for a 10 wide rim . Are their spectators where you will be off roading ? I ould do none of the above .

spicergear

I still want to see a military lockring come off with an intact tire...ESPECIALLY one the Michelin units with the ultra tough bead area they have. Again, these are NOT like the old truck tires where the ring could blow off and wasn't retained by the entire tire bead.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still want to see a military lockring come off with an intact tire...ESPECIALLY one the Michelin units with the ultra tough bead area they have. Again, these are NOT like the old truck tires where the ring could blow off and wasn't retained by the entire tire bead.
I have seen one come apart with an intact tire. Happened in Ft Worth after bumping into a tall curb. The split ring slowly walked itself most of the way off (took about a minute), then it blew. It sounded like a shotgun when it came apart.

Trango

I mounted a set of 16's to a set of stock deuce rims on a first pass on building my crawler. I felt so insecure about the lock rings that I then welded them on...

what a hassle. It's technically possible, but I would not advise this for any vehicle that runs on the street.

Oh, I also had to use an implement to push the tires onto the wheels far enough to then install the lock rings... it was simply impossible to mount them using any combination of hand tools.

So, is it possible? Yes. Is it recommended, especially for a street vehicle? Not really..

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been on hand for at least ten failures in my time. All tow tractors rears (same style as a deuce). All were in a tire cage and all but one was due to improper installation of the ring. The other time the ring just plain failed, but it had probably been abused throughout its life.

When parts hit the side of a tire cage it gets your attention. Everyone else's attention too. On the Connie (CV64) one of my guys nearly fainted when it happened.

The tire cages we use are designed for aircraft tires and would stop most anything - probably a small IED.

colelkhunter

I think this is topic is not even worth discussing after the initial answer of NO. The wheel is clearly not designed or reinforced for that much tire. Sometimes you have to give the best advice you can and let folks do what they are gonna do. If and when such a BS contraption fails (and hopefully no one is hurt) he will learn and know next time this question is asked to say NO WAY. Those who have answered from their own experience are your best teachers, as they have seen the results. If that is not enough reason to NOT do something, then I say go for it! Learn for yourself what others are trying to teach and maybe you can come back and tell us about it. As for me I think anyone who did this for any reason is foolish and setting them and others up for failure.

buzzinhalfdozzen

Here's some pics. Was going to stick the rockwells and tires under this chevy. It currently has 1 tons under it and 44" boggers. I decided to keep the truck how it is and sell the rockwells to fund a duece project. Keeping the 16.00s but they will be mounted on different wheels for street use.

Rockwells and 12" chevy lift springs are for sale by the way. I'll post in the classifieds eventually

edit: Previous owner made the spring perches on the rockwell. I wouldn't have made them tall like that. Just wanted to say that before I started getting bashed

Attachments

Last edited:

buzzinhalfdozzen

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great info on this site. Should be picking up a duece as soon as Uncle Sam gives me some of my hard earned money back after tax season.