• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16.5 9.75 steel wheels

1984CUCV

I recently acquired some like new 16.5 X 9.75 offroad steel wheels for a great price. They were mounted to 33 inch tires (x12.5). I have a set of new military OZ 36 inch tires I am going to mount to them. When I was taking the 33's off the rim I was amazed and I mean amazed at how easy they came off the bead. My concern is that when i mount the 36 and do some offroad stuff they will come off the bead. I spoke with the guys at the local tire shop and he said 16.5 rims are known to come off the beads real easy. Any thoughts? I know I can do a set of weld on bead locks but on a 9.75 rim i am worried about getting too wide for 12.5 wide tires.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are these the factory type wheel that takes a hubcap? If so, wanna trade them for HMMWV beadlock rims?

raiburn

Most 16.5 rims don't have the extra hump on the inside of the tire.
You are right, these do not make for very good off-road rims.
I have a very nice set too. They have been up on my shelf for 5 years.
Weld on beadlocks will only help this on the outside of the wheel.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you talking about the hubcaps that are just a center hub cover and use a trim ring? How do they attach? With "clips" on the rim or with screws? Can you post a pic of what you want or of the hubcaps?

Ridgerunner

Recovery4X4,

Them rims/wheels you seek are off 3/4 & 1 ton "Camper Special" equiped trucks from the 60's and 70's. I come across them from time to time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovery4X4,

Them rims/wheels you seek are off 3/4 & 1 ton "Camper Special" equiped trucks from the 60's and 70's. I come across them from time to time.
YES, YES, those are the ones! Please keep me in mind if you find some!

DerangedMadman

I have the 37 hummer radials on a set of 16.5x9.75 and I have a set of 36 hummer biased ply on 16.5x9.75 and have had absolutely no problems. On Memorial day weekend I had the 36" at powerline park and did some pretty hadcore mudding with no problems. As long as you keep your pressure up you will be fine.

Mounting them will be your biggest obstable as you will need someone putting air through the valve and someone using a bead blaster to get them to set. I tried the ether thing for hours. It would set the bead but they would keep popping back off as I did not have an air chuck that would lock onto the valve and for some reason no one wanted to hold the air to the valve when I shot it with ether lol.

A word of advise is to get a 5th tire and rim at that size for a spare as if you do have a flat the bead will break and most places will not be able to fix it for you. Most of the tire places will not will not mount a tire more that 3 years old or even balance a tire more that 8 years old.

Reactions: NDT

jimmy-90

My father had a set of 16.5" white wagons a long time ago. I noticed those things weighed alot more than 15" or 16" steel wheels. As far as welding on beadlock rings that will probly make it run like a POS at high speeds on the road.

hey Recovery, do you have a full set of the 8-lug aluminum turbine wheels that are in that pic? id be interested in them if youd like to sell them. i have a set of aluminum Wagon Wheels in 16.5x10" that are really nice, but im afraid to put them on something as heavy as my M1010... so i will sit on them until i find a good use, and im looking for tubines or alum slots in the meantime... plus i l just like collecting weird, rare, custom alum wheels...:)

steved454

back on the thread, I had a 79 3/4 ton 4x4 with a bored and blueprinted 454 with 16.5 inch rims with 35 inch thornbirds on it. I had the truck for over 10 years and took it in the mud and burned the tires even though they cost more than anyother tire I ever owned. that said I never had a problem with them, not once, I think like the others as long as you do not lower the air pressure you should have np.

ONETONGUN

16.5 wheels

are these the factory type wheel that takes a hubcap? If so, wanna trade them for hmmwv beadlock rims?
i have some extra 16.5x 9.75 factory camper special wheels that are like the ones in your picture do you want to get rid of the one hurricane wheel in your picture you can also call me at 570 400 2996 thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks