• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16 speed automatic caterpillar transmission

tbanks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Came across 2 16 speed automatic transmissions made by Caterpillar for the military road tractor.1 appears NOS and the other has been depot rebuilt.New from Cat 45,000 each.I want 3.000 each or both for 5500.Will load FOB my place in central Kentucky,can ship about any carrier,or deliver to Aberdeen in May.PM me or call 1-859-749-5659.Tony

acetomatoco

The control valve body for them is a bear to keep operating. They were in the first series M915 trucks. I scrapped 10 of the trannys a few years ago. The air system was dirty on those trucks and they needed a air dryer and filter. You might try the guys at White Owl, or SouthEastern. or list them with CME in Miami..in case a foreign gov't is looking for them...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They are actually semi-automatic since you have to manually shift up and down.
Once you got the hang of them they wern't bad, the 915's would run about 80 if you turned the Cummins up to 2300 RPM.
Their big flaw was that if the air pressure dropped below 80 PSI they kicked into neutral and you had no hold back on a steep hill. The military finally added an extra air tank to help bit it was after several accidents.
Like all things Cat they are hard on the wallet when they break.
That being said I wouldn't mind having a 5 ton truck or tractor with the eng/tranny from the 915 just for S & G's.

bugs

speaking of which, did any body here get that 916 with that tranny from gl last week from chambersburg???? it went for over 12 000.00 :shock: :shock:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was a platoon leader in the 104th Trans Co. when we got the M915's brand new and they would do over 100 MPH not a measley 80. In USAEUR they even blocked off the top two gears with a lock because drivers were out on the Autobahn beating most of the other trucks down the strasse. We did have most of the problems with the air valve body and I always took tens of thousands of dollars in cash as a class A agent to pay for repairs on long multi day convoys. I had a pack of them that I could not catch for almost 300 miles in South Dakota as they were dead heading into Minneapolis. I was doing 85 in the CUCV and never caught them till they hit traffic in the city limits of the big city. We had the tachographs to verify the top speed of over 100 MPH and until we got them all working and new tach cards we could not enforce speed limits on them because the card was just recorded over time and again. I had some old NCO's who loved to drive fast and almost dared me to catch them.

On a convoy to Texas I found a Tachograph dealer in Fort Worth and got tons of cards and that stopped our speeding issues in it's tracks as we would give an Article 15 to anyone who tached out over the maximum catch up speed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks