• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1600s on a deuce with manual steering

ivbeenrokd

Anybody out there running 1600s on a deuce with manual steering? I was considering keeping the overall length, 4door, 105 bed, and single rear axle but possibly keeping the manual steering for a time. Anybody out there running manual steering on a setup similar to that? Mine steers pretty good now with the 15.5s. I wouldnt think 1400s would be much different but I could see that 1600s could be.

Thanks,

John

HanksDeuce

John,

I ran 1600s on my bobbed deuce for a few months with the factory manual steering in place. Mind you I didn't take it off-road in any deep ruts, but interstate and city driving were no issues. My only advice is to drive "crab style" with your thumbs out! I have since gone to a power steering kit! :D

ivbeenrokd

What are the thoughts on 1400s? My guess is that since their narrow but taller than what I have now the steering won't likely be much different. Any thoughts or real life experience on that?

Thanks,

John

Bcurtman

I have 14.00's on mine and drive it wherever I happen to be going. Got a little imbalance at 45 mph but smooth at 55. No issues driving in town.

ivbeenrokd

Just wanted to bump this topic to the top to see if anyone has any additional experience with 1400s or 1600s and factory manual steering. Thanks!

ccf460

I just mounted my 16.00 R 20 michelin XL's on widened stock deuce wheels. I don't have power steering. It is doable, but forget super low speed steering,unless you want to look like popeye. I drive mine often, and have learned how to adapt. It is a noticeable difference from the 14.50 R 20's. I will be adding power steering in the near future, I hope!
Oh, and I don't have any front lift, so far no rubbing. I am going to add a 4" lift though, fender wells are full!