• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16x6.5 wheels for M37

hurtlec

Hello All,

my first post here at SS, what a great site, lots of relevant info, and I saw the post on Tires and Rims.......very good discussion, but here is my dilemma. I don't like the stock Budd split rims, I would rather mount rims that are 16x6.5, and tires that are tubeless and flap-less..LOL. Does anyone have a source for this size they would recommend? I'm looking to mount Michelin 11.00x16 on these or a comparable tire size. Thanks for your help and or advice. Chris:jumpin:

nattieleather

Custom wheels from Marsh would be about your only option. I have seen where the army had some tubless rims made for trailers, but nobody has come up with the actual rims just pics. But custom built will be your best bet.

Oldfart

As I recall, 16 inch drop center rims do not fit well over the M37 drums. If you go all the way and convert to disk brakes then it is an easy do with 8 lug nut flanges and room to get the 16 inch wheels over the brake assemblies. If the desire is tubeless tires, then one might look at custom wheels in larger sizes. My son's 2009 Dodge one ton has 17 inch wheels that might fit over the M37 drums. I say might as I don't know how deep the drop centers are. The snap ring style wheel rim is straight across with no drop and they are fairly close to the drums.

jimbob1111

I have those wheels

Hi
I have the GI wheels the Army had made. I have sold several sets.
I have just finished up mounting a set 4 Michelin 11.00 x 16 XL's on those wheels that will be delivered @ the GA RALLY.
I'm thinking, if I get time I have a set of Mich 11.00 x 16 ZXL's I'll try to get mounted to sell @ the GA RALLY
Off 2 work I go!
HMFG

Tanner

You won't get 16" tires to fit 16.5" rims. And if you plan to get a set of 11.00x16 tires, better get 'em now - supplies will dry up soon.

'Tanner'

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just going to say there was a guy in Winder selling them on ebay. Look stock too.

Oldfart

I have just spent a half hour searching eBay for 5 hole 16 inch rims that would fit an M37 and the only thing I can find are the stock 16 inch snap ring wheels and tires that Maddawg has listed. Any chance of getting a link to the wheels? I am anxious to see what is available that would take tubeless tires. I have a new set of bias swampers, but I have to use tubes with my stock wheels.

Tanner

Through the grapevine, I have heard pros/cons on Stockton wheels for the M37... some have mentioned in the past that the rim material Stockton used might have been thinner/'softer' than the stock Budd wheels & that the Stockton rims seemed to be easily bent?

Anyone else heard this?

Bueller?

'Tanner'

JPK

I have to think that any one piece rim is going to be thinner and bend easier than the original 2 piece split rim. The originals seem h3ll for stout.

Oldfart

I hate to be picky, but the stock wheels for an M37 are actually snap ring rims. A split rim is two halves that twist together after the tire is installed and they are held in position by the air pressure in the tire. If they don't get locked together well, they frequently come apart on inflation and hurt someone. Snap ring rims have their own problems, but they are certainly one or two steps safer than split rims. All my stock rims are the same thickness and manufacture style as the deuce and 5 ton rims we have on hand. I would agree they are heck for stout. I have rattled around among the rocks with my M37 and while scratched and scared, I have not managed to bend a rim flange or anything else on the wheel. Stock pickup wheels are probably manufactured with lighter material. Our one ton crew cab trucks have 16 and 17 inch steel wheels that look the same as the wheels on our goose neck trailer, but the trailer rims are rated at 110 psi as opposed to the trucks being rated at 80 psi. closer examination reveals the trailer rims are thicker and tougher. I think our one ton dually rims are tougher than stock half ton rims ~ soooo it is possible some custom wheels are much lighter duty than stock rims.

DAP

I had Stockton build 2 sets of my wheels I sent them the Budd Centers and they welded them in. Very happy with results but first time took them 9 months and next 8 months turn around time. They are real slow.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M37 combat rims

You have another choice, if you are not looking to go to really tall tires. I use the combat style rims. They are the same size rim as the "split rim" style, but the rim bolts on for easier field changes and much safer! See the picture attached.

Attachments

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot to add, the tires I am running are Yokohama Geolanders, they are about 33.5" tall and 11" wide. I run them with tubes cause the rim is a tube type rim.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done some checking, these combat wheels are 6.5" X 16" wheels and should be able to safely mount the Michelin 11.00 X 16 XL tires that are about 38+ inches diameter.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More on combat wheels for M37

For more info on these style wheels and how to mount tires on them, check out Military Manual TM 9-808.

Last edited: