• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

17 mpg?

renovate7

I added 10 gallons of fuel to my tank which raised the level 2.5". 1/4" equals 1 gallon. After driving 53 miles at 45 mph on open road I had used 3/4"= 17mpg. Is this possible with this Cat 3116?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think the odds of an A3 (or any deuce) getting 17mpg are the same as world peace, cats and dogs living in harmony and a balanced budget.

Only accurate way to compute mileage figures: Fill the tank up, write down the mileage. Drive it a few hundred miles, fill it up again, write the mileage down, repeat 3-4 more times. Take the mileage you were at when when you filled up the first time, then figure out how many miles you have driven and how much fuel you have put in. Divide. Answer.

tm america

Only way you can truly check mpg is to fill the tank,check the temp of the fuel.take it for a long trip.Then refill it to the same spot while it is the same temp it was the first time you checked it.Then divide out miles by fuel used..a 50 gal tank can make a couple gals appear or disappear with expansion and contraction.
If it got cold out while you were doing a short test like that you would have thought you got 2 gals to the mile

mhassett

I discussed MPG's with an A3 owner last Sunday at a parade. He told me he gets 17.5 MPG with the Cat engine.
MHassett

STRIDER

Last time i checked my M35 i got 16 mpg in the city but i am also running a crazy mix of engine oil trans fluid and diesel

Varyag

17 seems a little crazy, but I wasn't there so I can't say it is impossible.

Best I have ever done in my A2 is 13 on a wmo mix. (ATF, MO, old diesel) I wasn't going much over 45 for that whole tank. I can't imagine they are THAT much different considering auto vs stick.

Westech

CPL
17 is possible. I would get 12+ in my A2 with a jacked pump and all all sorts of stupid fast driving. If you were to take it ez and keep the engine temp in the 190 range, I would think it could be done.

If I can crank 28 out of my M1009 and 26 out of my 2500HD crew cab...

tonidial

hard to say, though I have yet to see my a2 guzzle diesel, but I don't put much stock in the fuel guage; with that said I have yet to burn through a whole tank in on drive (but I should state that I low shift at 1500-1600 rpm and generally tool around doing 35 in 5th). It also helps to keep the tires at 55psi (stock NDC).

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find it hard to believe it's that high. Not to mention 53 miles isn't very far to check gas mileage.

Akicita

You guys are doing so much metter than me. I don't get anywhere near 17 mpg. I don't think I get 10. There are a lot of lights and stop signs where I live and driving always includes a lot of stop-and-go.

Mark2X2

Most People are full of it when it comes to honest MPG's

I added 10 gallons of fuel to my tank which raised the level 2.5". 1/4" equals 1 gallon. After driving 53 miles at 45 mph on open road I had used 3/4"= 17mpg. Is this possible with this Cat 3116?

Fuel mileage is the most lied about subject ever invented! You fill your tank with the tank on the up hill side, the next time you on the down hill side. Your tank won't hold as much, you check the MPG's low and behold the best MPG's you ever got. What I have found, the best way to get an honest MPG out of your buddies pick up is pay for half the fuel on a trip. You will get the biggest bunch of excuses why the truck is getting such crappy MPG's. When some one tells you what there pick-up is getting for mileage, it was there best tank ever. Not the tank going across North Dakota with a stiff head wind, the cruise set at 80 mph and the Rokons in the back with gear and tools. (13.7mpg) Made the same trip with a buddy in Ford with a power joke, we got 9.3 mpg, we took his truck because he swore up and down it got 17mpg.

Steaminjim

Marks comment makes more sense than 17 in a Duce. But I have been the other side of the coin when hauling
stuff for the 25+ year old kids. I get the worst mileage when someone else is paying.:shock:

dittle

I got around 12mpg with my M35A2 on the way over to poofstalk. Most of this driving was going down through the Mississippi River valley. On the way back I got a little less, around 9.6 but then it was up hill through the same valley.

scranch18121

Back when gas was cheap my dad was messing with a friend of his. His friend was going to find out what his milage was. My dad kept adding fuel to his tank nightly. This guys Ford F250 with a 390 was getting an astounding 30+ miles per gallon. The guy was bragging about it. Then nightly my dad was removing fuel from his truck.... guy was getting 2-3 miles per gallon. This was the type of pranks my dad told me he did back in the 60's early 70's. Good clean fun....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks