• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1800 miles, no license plates, half a pack of smokes...

bubba_got_you

NICE TRUCK!!!

:rant:
[FONT=&quot]But im still trying to figure out when you where impersonating military personal? Where you wearing a uniform? Did you identify your self as personal? I also don’t see the problem with driving the vehicle YOU JUST BOUGHT AND PAID FOR off the base WHERE THEY LEFT IT!!!! IT’S YOUR DAMN TRUCK AND YOU HAVE PROOF OF OWNERSHIP!!! IM HAVING A HARD TIME UNDERSTANDING WHERE THE BIG PROBLEM IS!!!! BUT I GUESS MORE LAWS WILL FIX IT RIGHT IT ALWAYS HAS BEFOR!!!!! AND SO FREEKING WHAT HE DIDENT HAVE TAGS I WOULDENT HAVE DONE IT BUT HE DID AND THAT’S HIS CHOICE!!!! :rant:[/FONT]

wb1895

What's the penalty for impersonating a federal Civil Service or civilian contractor? Both types drive military vehicles on a regular basis.

It wouldnt matter. The vehicle is no longer government property. Evern if he was in full battle rattle and driving a freakin tank, as long as he never said he was a soldier or government employee, and he could prove that he owns the vehicle. The worst that could happen to him is he recieves a citation for failing to register a motor vehicle and isnt allowed to drive it.

Now if he tried to get out of the citation by implying that he was a government employee and the vehicle still belonged to the govt then that is a whole different story.

Sincerly,
a LEO

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wore wear my baseball cap, jeans, tennis shoes, lime green polo shirt and overlong white hair yesterday when I drove my friend's M109 145 miles from Camp Shelby yesterday. I guarantee no one mistook me for anything other than an overweight, overaged pipeliner having a good time. Two state troopers and a city cop just waved back, since I was obviously not a threat to public safety.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I wore wear my baseball cap, jeans, tennis shoes, lime green polo shirt and overlong white hair yesterday when I drove my friend's M109 145 miles from Camp Shelby yesterday. I guarantee no one mistook me for anything other than an overweight, overaged pipeliner having a good time. Two state troopers and a city cop just waved back, since I was obviously not a threat to public safety.

LOL, :funny:

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They waved back because they didin't know you weren't legit. Had they known you were illegal, they'd have written the ticket. You honestly think that driving around in a regular car with no plates would get you the same treatment? No way. They didn't know you weren't military.

I believe what Bkubu was getting at was that people are driving MV's without tags figuring cops will leave them alone because they are military. Whether you are dressed for the part or not, it's the intent behind thinking you can get away with it...:roll:

The point is that IT'S BAD FOR THE HOBBY. For those of us who are actually in the hobby, that is.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wearing a T shirt and shorts.

Remember, this truck has no A/C and no radio. So, T shirt with both windows down, rolling down the highway at 60 mph.

OK, I basically got really short hair and a short goatee. Both mainly gray.

So no, I wasn't impersonating anyone. I was trying to get my truck home the best way I could.

And trust me, 4 days in a 5/4 ton in 90+ degree heat and humidity that this poor old Colorado living boy had long since left behind was no picnic.

I would say the only laws I broke were the fact that NO ONE would allow me to purchase a paper transit permit. AND I TRIED. In two states. Gotta love a bureaucracy that makes it ILLEGAL and offer no way to resolve the issue.

So I just did what I did. Not TRYING to break any laws by any means. But I had to get the truck back to Colorado and at $2 a mile (or more) that would have added another $4000 to the already bloated price. Again, that was NOBODIES FAULT BUT MINE.

As it was, my flight was paid for by airline miles. Of the four hotels I stayed in, I only paid for one, the rest were paid for by Mariott points (whatever they are). Plus my wife got me $200 worth of Amex gas cards, so about two thirds of my fuel cost was covered. The only thing I spent money on was one or two meals a day, about $100 - $150 worth of fuel and one hotel room for like about $75.

That was ALL I could do. Not making excuses, just stating the facts AS I KNOW THEM.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assure you, no one thinks I'm current military - I'm old enough to have retired with 2 20-year hitches. Probably the only servicemen my age still in are high ranking officers, and they would not be driving a Duece in the south Miss summer heat. I see cars going down the interstate all the time with no tags - but they usually have "in-transit" in the back window. Meaning they are being transported from the purchase location to the final destination where they will be registered. It's the same transporting MVs from the auction to your home. Insurance is the key, not tags. In my state, you can't register a MV with a SF-97 until a local LEO inspects the serial number after you get it home, and you can't get tags until it is registered.

I agree with Bkubu if someone is driving an untagged, uninsured MV around after they get it home, and it is no longer "in-transit."

85-m1028

I was wearing a T shirt and shorts.

Remember, this truck has no A/C and no radio. So, T shirt with both windows down, rolling down the highway at 60 mph.

OK, I basically got really short hair and a short goatee. Both mainly gray.

So no, I wasn't impersonating anyone. I was trying to get my truck home the best way I could.

And trust me, 4 days in a 5/4 ton in 90+ degree heat and humidity that this poor old Colorado living boy had long since left behind was no picnic.

I would say the only laws I broke were the fact that NO ONE would allow me to purchase a paper transit permit. AND I TRIED. In two states. Gotta love a bureaucracy that makes it ILLEGAL and offer no way to resolve the issue.

So I just did what I did. Not TRYING to break any laws by any means. But I had to get the truck back to Colorado and at $2 a mile (or more) that would have added another $4000 to the already bloated price. Again, that was NOBODIES FAULT BUT MINE.

As it was, my flight was paid for by airline miles. Of the four hotels I stayed in, I only paid for one, the rest were paid for by Mariott points (whatever they are). Plus my wife got me $200 worth of Amex gas cards, so about two thirds of my fuel cost was covered. The only thing I spent money on was one or two meals a day, about $100 - $150 worth of fuel and one hotel room for like about $75.

That was ALL I could do. Not making excuses, just stating the facts AS I KNOW THEM.

I think the only mistake you made was telling a bunch of rigid coots on this site that you drove it home! keep on truckin! land of the free and home of the brave, or so I sometimes think!!

Dozer11B

HAHAHA!! Sex, CUCs, and Rock and Roll!

I know as an NCO when the bossman tells me to get something done, I get it done. A lot of times that may require a bit of "thinking outside the box". Not saying it's right, but too much bureaucratic tape can cause inefficiency, ya know?

powerhouseduece

You know.... all you have to do is swap plates, but dont be stupid with it. If your picking up a deuce, be sure to have a tagged and insured deuce. If you swap CUCV plates then make sure it has insurance and is liget. Dont put a plate for a 69 firebird on a deuce and try to drive it home. Im not saying anyone here would do that but if you get into a fender bender with a deuce with liget plates off your other deuce, im sure nobody is going to know the diffrence.

I KNOW A FEW MEMBERS ARE GUILTY OF THIS!!!!!

Crash_AF

You know, I'm really tired of people getting all high and mighty about what someone else did. If he had insurance on it and was willing to take responsibility for the consequences of driving an unlicensed vehicle if he was cited, that's his own business. You rolls the dice and you takes your chances.

He wasn't 'impersonating military personnel'... that would require him to STATE that he was military or wear rank insignia that he didn't earn.

And if you wish GL would stop letting people 'drive off' the vehicles without paperwork, maybe they should issue a frigging title and temporary registration at the time of sale like EVERY OTHER AUTOMOTIVE DEALER has to. They don't follow the rules and give us the paperwork so therefore we can't follow the rules and get a road legal vehicle in most states.

Later,
Joe

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe,

THX. You are correct.

I ROLLED THE DICE. I DID GET LUCKY.

Thank you GOD for letting me get home safely with no incidents to mar the 'adventure'.

But IF I had been stopped, I would have been all humble and apologetic and I would have PAID what ever ticket they would have given me. I WAS guilty if they felt I was.

But I hate being put in the position of having limited (in this case) options to ANY problem. So I did what had to be done and I got lucky.

I didn't speed. I didn't drive erratically.

I DID HAVE INSURANCE. Just no registration. And yah, here in Colorado you can't get registered until a VIN verification has been done. Which means you can't get anything done until it's here IN Colorado.

If some 'old coot' (HEY, I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK) wanted to drop dime on me, I'd still pay the ticket.

Cause I got lucky and this is one sweet truck. It is definitely worth it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would anyone drive a Cadillac hundreds of miles without tags because they could not get any issued? I am going to bet the answer is no from most people. Why not? Because that vehicle would stick out, especially without plates. So, how is it different in a military vehicle? Because the driver believes that at first glance the vehicle won't look out of place without tags. Perhaps, this was not a consideration to WALLEW...I am not accusing anyone of anything. I am only asking what the differences are that would prevent someone from driving a civilian vehicle without tags vs. a military vehicle.

Joe, "high and mighty about what someone else did?" Damn straight...if it could impact me in any way...I am concerned.

A guy I know was driving his M1009 around town without tags after he got it home (I know this is not what happened here, but I am sharing this story to show you how seriously law enforcement takes these violations). A MD State Police Trooper pulled him over after he pulled out a diner. The Trooper asked why there were no tags on his CUCV. With no good excuse, the Trooper wrote him a ticket and made him get the truck towed. Like it or not, it is illegal in most situations to drive without tags.

Crash_AF

Bruce, how does someone driving an insured vehicle without tags impact you? Seriously?

And to answer your question, yes, I would drive a Cadillac hundreds of miles with no tags if it was a similar situation. I drove a 1979 F350 Dually 4x4 Supercab from New Mexico to South Carolina after purchasing it without tags. Same situation, same result. I insured the truck, hoped for the best, had my ownership documents in hand showing I had just purchased the truck and off I went.

As soon as I got it back to SC, I got tags on it and everything was legal...

Sometimes the only option is to bend the rules a little to make things work thanks to the differences between interstate laws concerning vehicle registration. I'm still not clear on how that affects you or anyone else for that matter. It's like speeding, you get caught, you fess up or fight it in court and take responsibility for it. It's between you and the state.

Later,
Joe

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is how it (potentially) impacts me. If someone gets busted driving a military vehicle without tags, he/she may draw unnecessary attention to the hobby. There have been movements in the past to stop the sale of surplus vehicles to the public. All we need is one nervous politician who wants to make this an issue. The cops who waved to the military vehicle passing thought they were waving to a soldier/marine/airmen/sailor. They did not think they were waving to John Q. Public. Those cops thought those guys were in the military...and that is what a lot of guys bank on. Perhaps, WALLEW did not do that. I am not accusing anyone. However, there are plenty of guys on this list who have bragged about being able to drive their truck(s) home without tags (and very often no insurance...again, that was not the case here). That is what concerns me. There are WAY too many guys on this list that bend the rules and then post about it in this public forum.

mahdey

I just bought a deuce 498 mile away in PA and my state and insurance says i have 30 days to get insurance and tags for THAT vehicle or it will be illegal. I like Ohio more and more.

mahdey

Joe,

THX. You are correct.

I ROLLED THE DICE. I DID GET LUCKY.

Thank you GOD for letting me get home safely with no incidents to mar the 'adventure'.

But IF I had been stopped, I would have been all humble and apologetic and I would have PAID what ever ticket they would have given me. I WAS guilty if they felt I was.

But I hate being put in the position of having limited (in this case) options to ANY problem. So I did what had to be done and I got lucky.

I didn't speed. I didn't drive erratically.

I DID HAVE INSURANCE. Just no registration. And yah, here in Colorado you can't get registered until a VIN verification has been done. Which means you can't get anything done until it's here IN Colorado.

If some 'old coot' (HEY, I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK) wanted to drop dime on me, I'd still pay the ticket.

Cause I got lucky and this is one sweet truck. It is definitely worth it.

stop trying to defend yourself against everyone...you did what you had to do. If they are pissed about then tell them to pound sand. The deed already been done so people just need to get over it:roll:.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I too am wondering WTF all the grief is about. . . New Mexico gives you 30 days to register a newly purchased vehicle. . . I drove a Deuce from Fort Riley to Las Cruces with NO tags, insurance only, and was saluted by truckers. . . does this make me a criminal? get over yourselves!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks