• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1917 Machinegun Cart....WW1

L999here

Wrote about the this as a 'road-trip-from-h***',so decided to post pic's. Not really 'auxillary equipment' and not a 'gun truck'...but was the vehicle for moving the 1917 Browning water-cooled machine gun around the battle-field during WW1 and thru the 30's. By the start of WW2 the 'gun cart' was obsolete...we had jeeps and halftracks and several other pieces of armor to do the job that was usually done by horses and mules prior to the 'mechanized army'. In the process of restoring these carts for museum and WW1 re-enacting. Any assistance,info,parts/pieces and general info is appreciated...my dime...(800) 380-4867. The plain cart is an ammo cart and was picked up in VA. The painted cart is a spare gun cart from MO and will be restored as a primary gun cart. They are not for sale or trade at this time...so MODS...don't delete. If someone has a better forum for these carts...by all means,move the thread. Hope you enjoy the pic's as much as I had poseing them for review. Thank you for any help in getting these back in shape for posterity....

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty interesting. There aren't many WW1 things left around, thanks for sharing the pics!

It's hard to imagine the schemes and bad ideas that folks had early in the days of machineguns when we were coming up with all sorts of bad ideas, well at the time they seemed pretty good. Remember the camel-mount of the Gatling Gun?

Attachments

JCKnife

I'm reading "The Gun" by C.J. Chivers and the first 2-3 chapters are all about early machine guns, from Gatling and others. Very interesting reading.

Here is a link where you can read the entire book "The Gatlings at Santiago" by John H. Parker, a pioneer of machine gun tactics.

The Gatlings at Santiago - by John H. Parker [Authorama]

(the book is old enough that it is now public domain)

OP, thanks for sharing!

L999here

...up-date...

Have found a Mar 1918 manual on line (44 pgs.),made copies and blown up line drawings for clarity. Really need specs on the pine wood gun box,ammo box container and the tool box. Anybody got the spec's for these pieces...?

WBrun334

I thank you for saving a part of our history. Apparently there are none of these that have been restored and available for examination and measuring? If not then all the more reason to restore these carts.

L999here

...somewhere....

Several carts have been restored...but the guys that I know thru the 1919A4.com web site will not share their info on the gun carts....go figure. I'm not a wood worker...not the right equipment...but I've done enough that all I would need are the rough dimentions and I'd get the job done. Still looking for spec's....all the boxes are made from pine....the cart itself is all oak.

L999here

....not really...

Good question....!!!..Maybe some folks just don't want anyone else to have what they do...? Making one of these WW1 wood carts would be very expensive in time and money. The artillary wood spoke wheels...38" high...are just not available anymore,also the metal parts are not made anymore...almost 100 yrs old stuff from the horse-buggy days. Still searching....

jamesfrom180

When I was younger my grandfather and I restored a Buck-Board. Learned the value of Naval Jelly from the ole'Man. We had luck in getting the wheels from the Amish in up-state-NY. Just a FYI they also have the saw mills to cut the dimensional Oak needed to work on old stuff. Saves alot of time planing down modern material.

L999here

...for the horse/mule guys...

Just for the horse-and-buggy guys. I have not seen this kind of hardware before. Apparently this stuff is 100+ yr. old tech stuff....LOL. Pic's show the post foot,the draw hooks,single tree and a partridge in a pear tree....LOL...

Attachments

L999here

...ammo cart done....

Just finished wood/paint and getting leather straps and metal hardware ready to install. This was my 'winter' project'...but hope to complete for the re-enactment folks to see. Believe this is the oldest military vehicle in the MVPA. Anyone have one older...? Think it was made in early 1917....

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh I'm sure there are one or two people in the MVPA who own cannon carriages and limbers from the Civil War. :) But you made a good effort!

Great restoration work there!

jonsm114

Outstanding! An old thread but I think I just purchased a cart like this. Where did you get photos or drawings to complete the boxes........? Very Nice...... I am located in St. Louis......would love to chat with you about this project.

Jon Shoop
314-703-9710

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks