• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1939 Artic Cruiser ?

I guess this is where I should post this question, after all its over a five ton and it is a US vehicle. Would you consider this a military vehicle. I know according the official record its still up there buried in the ice. This monster was supposed to be diesel powered and be able to cruise over the ice. What does any one know about this vehicle ?

Attachments

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
im pretty sure vietnam happened wayyy after 1939. this should go in the WWI & II 5-ton and Larger section. but oh well....

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Antarctic Cruiser!

This vehicle has been mentioned several times before on SS.
There was a time in the 1970's when it was offered free to anyone that wanted to find and recover it. The camp where it was last located is believed now to have sunk into the Antarctic Ocean after melting by global warming of the ice shelf many years ago. It was last seen by most reports in 1958. Where it was, it is no more.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Runk, I saw your links of that Antarctic snow cruiser site. They went out on the ice with SLICKS? Big town science types never been on a farm or what? Even then they knew that good profiles are needed for good traction.

Dr. Poulter had been out on the ice but then again, they mainly had to worry about having a big contact surface and easy sliding over the ice with sleighs.

Even so, great idea and great thing, would have loved to drive it around in Antarctica.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steel soldiers expedition to find it? I'm in. Now that would be an epic recovery. Ran when parked. My snowshoes and skis are ready, and I'm Arctic qualified. Let's go!

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Count me in

Steel soldiers expedition to find it? I'm in. Now that would be an epic recovery. Ran when parked. My snowshoes and skis are ready, and I'm Arcitc qualified. Let's go!
What about a submarine recovery vehicle :mrgreen:. Almost certainly it's on the bottom of the ocean. Otherwise, a metal-finding satellite scan of the place would be nice so we know where to start looking.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
good grief guys I use the word "BEAST" effectionately in reference to 5 and 10 ton vehicles and that word does nothing to describe this one! With my limited vocabulary the best I can do is WOW!
KK

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shhh, don't tell anyone, but Clive Cussler's hero, Dirk Pitt, found this and refurbished it in "Artic Drift", I believe:mrgreen:
I remember that read. If you want a great story, but a few parts bordering on the unbelievable, you need to read a Dirk Pitt novel.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i am a scuba drive and i would go on that recovery, but, that water is colder than a punguins pecker! maybe it drifted closer to hawaii. :jumpin:
I'd dive it, as long as it wasn't too deep. I've only done cold water diving. Off Newfoundland it was 34 deg on the surface, and 28 degrees at 100'. It can't get much colder than that. I'm still in!

BTW - it may be too late to own the Antarctic Land Cruiser. But you can still own the Alaskan Land Train!
Nope. It sold. I called the guy that was selling it to see if I could take photos up close. He wouldn't let me in, said the salvage company wouldn't go for it. He wouldn't tell me who bought it, said I should stop by and talk to the salvage company. I could never catch them in the yard. That land train is no longer where it was, and I doubt it's still in Fairbanks.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks