• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 Ford f15a CMP

kootenay cruiser

So one day (about 10 years ago) I hear about this truck from a buddy that knows a guy that has this old army truck thats sitting in his back 40 that he doesn't use anymore. So one day Kev (buddy), myself and a dozen cold ones go for a ride to see a guy about a truck. Turns out he want $700 for this old Ford truck, so we go for a little walk in the back 40 to see it and I was about 20 yard away and said SOLD. So I'm the proud owner of an old Ford army truck, it has some serious issues, missing stuff, flat tires and the box is laying about 50 yards away but he says it runs. So we go get some stuff like good gas, couple plug wires and more road pops. About an hour or so later we had the truck running, the box on and tied down with one tie stap, and got two of the tire to hold air. MMM I love beer. Now I'm feeling pretty good and decide we are going to drive the beast home like this, I get the milk crate Kev gets the floor and away we go. It took us 3 hours to go 4 kms (about 2 miles), we foud out the rad only holds about half the water so we put it in 2nd and idle it home. It was quite bouncey with 2 flats at slow speed. The next day we do a real inspection of the truck, tires are junk, no brakes, missing the engine cover, box isn't bolted down, no seats, no doors and no bumpers, the flathead is long gone. But it has a Chevy 235 Thriftmaster I-6 and 4spd, also comes with 250 I-6 spare engine, 2 Astrovan bucket seats and front bumper shaped in a very bendy V. Blah blah blah. About a month ago I was at my parents and decided to load the truck on a trailer and bring it home (the wife was thrild).

kootenay cruiser

Now I am wondering which way I should go, make it an offroad only truck or make it road worthy. I plan on putting in a small diesel engine, building an engine cover, total re-wiring, and I'd like to find some 20" rims of the same vintage. Pictures will come as soon as I figure that out

krall

I like it, that should be a fun truck when road worthy, I wouldn't go just offroad, unless you do alot of it and besides you would have to get it there some how so road worthy just takes most of the head ach away.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
WHOA! The gas pedal is between the clutch and brake! I'll bet that takes some getting used to! I could adapt, though, as long as the cab could accommodate my nearly 7 foot body. :)

kootenay cruiser

Hmm, I'm 6'1" and with the Astro van seats I barely fit behind the wheel. I guess I have been corrected on another site and the truck is a 1942. Progress is really going to slow down as it is now snowing and I dont have a shop or a shed to work in.

paulfarber

I really wouldn't expect a 60+ year old MV to be as 'off road capable' as you think. One reason they lasted was not because of the strength of the chassis, but becuase the Army had the parts to throw at it every time it broke.

Jeeps are like that. WWII jeeps are pretty fragile, but in Military Service with dedicated supply and 'free' parts they were kept going despite the design flaws. I have seen PLENTY of snapped axles, broken springs, destroyed transfer cases from weekend warriors thinking that a jeep can do anything.

Fix it and drive it, but be reasonable. CMPs are not that common so parts are going to be more miss than hit.

jaxsof

Cool little truck. Good save, and good luck. I dont think the MB auto diesel is quite the way to go though. Wasnt meant for that type of service. May I ask you to considder a Cummins 4bt, parts are common, fairly(for a diesel) inexpensive, and quite durable.

kootenay cruiser

Considering the shape of the CMP(previous owner used it as a log skidder) I'm not to worried about breaking anything. If it breaks it will be replaced with something stronger, if I cant find it I'll build it. If its not stock then its probably stronger and better. If I could find a 4BT cummins motor with a trans for $350 I would buy it.

kootenay cruiser

Well its been a while, not much progress but I have made the desision to go full offroad. I do have it partially taken apart and have found lots of cutting and welding has been done to the frame and is a little bent (former log skidding). If I can sell the box I will (its a little heavy). And I never did get that Mercedes diesel, owner never contacted me with directions...

M135CDN

cmp cargo box

If you want to sell the cargo box try posting on Maple Leaf Up ( MLU ) there might be some one looking for one. I know I am, that box is for the 8 hundred weight truck, pity I wasn't 2000 miles closer .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks