• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I was going to call PB and let him know the big box of all his seals came - but he would look at his phone and see my # and just let it go to messaging anyhow - I handle rejection WELL.

Been a while since I tore all the stuff down and I think ole Lloyd has been in my garage - where did all the jars of screws go Lloyd :::: probably next to the WC windshield screw jar you got:hammer:

This a a lot of $$$ for these seals and I sure do not want to screw anything up so I only put one together to make sure all was right (I found where Lloyd hid the jars but dang if I can still find them WC windshield screws - that just bugs me big time.
Rolly uppy and downie just fine and smooth as sliding on butter on a plastic tarp - - BTW PB - ZOUT does NOT clean glass or do windows
Zout, I have NEVER ditched a call from you....well, the one time when you kept calling me about going to Tennessee to get the KFC and when I finally DID answer...I yelled at Deb (accidently).:oops:

PB LIKEY the glass/window!!:drool::goodjob:

One question if I may. Why does the window have a mural with a tower and a tree on it?:papabear:

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
5th...This weekend is totally farkeled as far as helping with the flood/washout issue at the garage as we are taking Proud American to Newnan High School on Friday for a special event for the kids and Saturday we have the 1st Cav Monument re-dedication here in Columbus so there is no time to be had.

Hey PB please take pic's of the 1st CAV Monument re-dedication. As a 1st CAV trooper I'd like to see that. And thank you for going and doing all you do for vets.:goodjob:
I certainly will Brother...and you are most welcome...and thank you for your service Sir.

zout

PB - in post 897 - 4th picture - you must have missed that one. Do you know how long took me to etch the house - grass - everything onto that inside piece of glass before I installed it ?? Its even harder not scratching it to mess it all up !

Compressor pump has shipped out of Salt Lake UT - I expect it here no earlier than Tue next week - its passing Salina KS right now.

BTW - its great to have anyone viewing posting something up and or helping with details - I know for one I have searched high and low for any information on these and the radio systems. Just ask PB - I can tell you the 4 folks names and ranks that left Hawaii to go man a K-18 & K-19 at Wake Island and even the ship name they traveled on.

Try to keep on the seals for now & get the surface wet sanded for the last time in 800.

rickf

Looking very good, I'll bet that thing is an oven with the windows in and the fresh paint on. I see you have one of those fancy fluorescent air hoses, looks very pliable. How do you like it and where did you get it? I hate mine always looping up and tripping over it.

Rick

Last edited:

zout

The air line is called Flexila or ZillaGreen - that one was around $57 - keep hot metal dripping off when cutting with a torch away from them - they burn easily (should see the other two in my garbage can). Those were 25 fters though.

Check out one of the above pics I shot with the digital temp gun - shows how frickin hot the exterior is - but I also turn on a fan in side and the flooring is still out of it so there is at least some air circulation in it - have to battle with the wasps trying to make nests in it but the MATCHES and a can of BreakClean cures that problem (oops - did I not post a pic of flaming breakclean frying wasps in side PB's K ??)

steelypip

Tin - there is a pic of the tail lights that were in the K.
/QUOTE]

That tail light looks like a typical truck part from the '30s. Two bulbs - one for stop, one for running lamp. Later on, when turn signals appeared they were fitted in pairs. Clear glass lens (broken) over the red lenses. Yours is restorable if anybody ever reproduced the clear glass lenses. If not, It's a pretty standard part for that era.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Tin - there is a pic of the tail lights that were in the K.
/QUOTE]

That tail light looks like a typical truck part from the '30s. Two bulbs - one for stop, one for running lamp. Later on, when turn signals appeared they were fitted in pairs. Clear glass lens (broken) over the red lenses. Yours is restorable if anybody ever reproduced the clear glass lenses. If not, It's a pretty standard part for that era.
Not quite Steelypip but close. The K-18C's tailight were a WW2 prototype light with two cateye lenses. If you care to donate two to the restoration, I know where you can get them for $375 each. :eek:

nattieleather

I would think you could go with a standard WWII tail light housing from a Jeep or WC etc and put those in for a lot less money than what Tinwoodsman posted. It may not be 100% historically accurate, but who's to say they didn't replace the housing during the war? Right? Just my thought on the subject. Mr. Z keep up the great work!

zout

Thanks Nat - and thanks for posting up and enjoying the ride.

WINDOWS - got the passenger side box DONE - as you can see in the wrappings are the cab rollup glass - framework all rustproofed for tomorrows assembly - paint and maybe get onto installation.

Got out of work late as the Feds were at the terminal checking fuel in the tanks and in the trucks and permits - and of course they came when I was ready to go home - boss says - GO SEE DAVE - geeze.
Anyhow here are some pics and tomorrow is going to be a great day with AWESOME SURPRISES in store for the owner of this WW0 KIMG_1468.jpgIMG_1469.jpgIMG_1470.jpgIMG_1471.jpgIMG_1472.jpgIMG_1473.jpgIMG_1474.jpgIMG_1475.jpgIMG_1476.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Thanks Nat - and thanks for posting up and enjoying the ride.

WINDOWS - got the passenger side box DONE - as you can see in the wrappings are the cab rollup glass - framework all rustproofed for tomorrows assembly - paint and maybe get onto installation.

Got out of work late as the Feds were at the terminal checking fuel in the tanks and in the trucks and permits - and of course they came when I was ready to go home - boss says - GO SEE DAVE - geeze.
Anyhow here are some pics and tomorrow is going to be a great day with AWESOME SURPRISES in store for the owner of this WW0 KView attachment 493414View attachment 493415View attachment 493416View attachment 493417View attachment 493418View attachment 493419View attachment 493420View attachment 493421View attachment 493422
I may sleep in that rascal it's looking soooo good!:goodjob:

Folks don't worry about the lights. I will handle that on down the road but it sure won't be paying 375 bucks each for em!!:shock:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I forgot to ask what the voltage is on the truck. 6 volts lights are more plentiful and less expensive but I believe communications vehicles are 12 volt. I know my WC51 is.

zout

6v positive ground.

Nope - but I see either fully breaking that last regulator and or fixing it and or order up a new gear section and replace just that. Found yesterday where I can get one.

rickf

Post number 899, picture number one. Did anyone else notice the pattern on the ground under the front of the truck? Interesting.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Zout, please don't worry yourself or spend too much time on that regulator. Heck if it will just hold the window in place that's good enough Bro.:grin:

As far as the lights go, don't worry about them much either guys as I will have to build a modified wiring harness before they will work anyway!:beer:

zout

That is called Zouts yard washed down into the front of the garage slab - at this time there is about a yard and a half there. First task this morning is grab the hoe and dig it all out once again - shovel it all away - wash it down so I can get under it - and by that time I will have no more energy left to do anything. Couple folks know why.

Not saying I won't plop on my butt on a 5 gallon jug and put cab windows together - besides I have some stuff at the top of the hill I have to carry down - I think there are like SEVEN LENGTHS of them !!!!!!! ah what could that be ??

rickf

I was talking about the desert camo pattern to the dirt. Open your mind past the vehicle sir. Relax a bit, drink more than just one alcoholic liquid refreshment today and the he## with the dirt, it can wait.

P.S. Most of us worked in the dirt long before we got concrete didn't we? I still don't have concrete! I don't have dirt, I have MUD!

Last edited:

zout

Well the cleaning took all my time basically - looking really good and GUESS what it just started doing outside - raining again.

Got the cab windows assembled - let them dry - trim - paint and install.
Got 5 more bags of blasting media and I need to get inside the box frame rails along with the differential and springs just to clean them up - also the outside spring shackle and hangers - the rest looks really nice. The whole inside topside of stuff needs done ASAP because looky what Zout has.

Seeing as it started RAINING AGAIN - I carried these from the top of my hill by the M909 and said HWI and stuck them in the garage - better place than none to trip over them and keep them dry here for at least another week.

RickF - I get copy rights to the pattern in the mud if anyone is going to use that as a camo pattern - and yes I have no hesitation to grab a sippy pop day or night nor what time of day it is - that is what I like about ME :).IMG_1477.jpgIMG_1478.jpgIMG_1479.jpgIMG_1480.jpgIMG_1481.jpgIMG_1482.jpgIMG_1483.jpgIMG_1484.jpgIMG_1485.jpg I did get that regulator to move but as you can see from a crappy picture the crank gear is nearly stripped off - I sent PB a link to where we can get these IF needed. I put the two crappy regulators on the window closest to the drivers door and on the cargo swing door drivers side to make it easier for a later date.

zout

What an idiot I am - My son and his friend who do the stencils and t shirt and graphic stuff came through again - here is the 3 piece stencils to get the 3rd Army insignia to the back three corners - and yes I am waiting for a compressor pump to get the final coat on the K and then these babies get painted on - I am almost getting excited.IMG_1486.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks