• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1941 K18-C GMC Recovered today

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Got the roof wiped down after a brief thundershower here and tacked off - roof is done. Its all up hill from here
Well, after we talked this morning I had high hopes of sneaking away tomorrow with Tony, BabyBear, and a couple fellers and coming up to visit and to :drool::drool:

WELL....on the way to brunch, my lovely wife informed me that we needed to stop by the store on the way back home to get some items she needs for the BBQ she has planned for the family...tomorrow!!:shock:

Yeah, yeah, I know. I should have asked if she had any plans but I was just hoping there were no plans and if I kept quiet I could pull the ole "I'm needed at work routine"!:roll:

Anyhoo....enjoy your excellent ribs tomorrow Commander and think of me here in the salt mines performing my husbandly duties!:cry:

rickf

I saw those tail lights and instant flashback to the movie War of the worlds!. The original version. Remember the eye on the snake head?
Oh well, it is looking fantastic and that floor is perfect. I love metal but I also love wood. I wish I could work it as well as I can metal. Those old trailer floors are great, run them through a planer to take off the bottom layer, the top usually has too much imbedded trash tat will ruin the planner blades.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Got the roof wiped down after a brief thundershower here and tacked off - roof is done. Its all up hill from here
Don't you mean down hill?? I thought after all the body, paint and glass work things would be easier??:shock: ( I know...that's what I get for thinking).

Anyhoo, by my clock you are about four months ahead of schedule!:not worthy:

goldneagle

I saw those tail lights and instant flashback to the movie War of the worlds!. The original version. Remember the eye on the snake head?
Oh well, it is looking fantastic and that floor is perfect. I love metal but I also love wood. I wish I could work it as well as I can metal. Those old trailer floors are great, run them through a planer to take off the bottom layer, the top usually has too much imbedded trash tat will ruin the planner blades.
Actually I think he used new boards for the floor. At least they look new in the pictures.

COMMANDERZ if you ever do another wood floor I recommend a CherryHill Manufacturing floor sander. It has 4 orbital discs that would get the job done quicker. It is available for rent at some Home Depot Tool rentals. (it has a built in dust collector)

zout

Next time I do a wood floor I am sure you'll be able to smell the wood burning and see the fire - I hate working with wood period.

It was all new flooring - I used my da sander with a couple different grits BEFORE installing it and AFTER cutting it - and I am not buying any wood tool chit - period.
Once all the wood was installed and I had the center piece centered and screwed down all the remainder tongue and groove were tightly shoved together for a firm and tight seal - then screwed down - once all done I loaded up the box of da sandpaper and laid my arse on the floor and started from front to back sanding once again - this trailer flooring was not manufactured to be so nit picky on - but I did. And the whole time sanding I had the noxious smell of wood dust and red oak being sanded in my nose and in the air - disgusting smell and made me wanna puke - but I am almost done - what I will not do for my friend.

ANYHOW -Deb helped steer the K to get it out of the way so I could wash and clean up totally under the truck and in front of the garage - those are also those two engine covers with the asbestos on them. Its staying on the covers - Period.

Dug out Debs jeepy and cleaned it up and charging the batteries so I can move the K back into position. The whole time doing this I have a bodacious slab of ribs that marinaded for two days on the grille - see what your missing PB.
Here are some pics: OH by the way - today is the 60th day the K has been at my DZ.IMG_1575.jpgIMG_1576.jpgIMG_1577.jpgIMG_1578.jpgIMG_1579.jpgIMG_1580.jpgIMG_1581.jpgIMG_1582.jpg Its also the first time the K has been moved since delivery as well - If you look at the day PB dropped it off - the steer tires have not even been moved - DAY ONE -K-18 movement.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well Commander, for someone that hates to work with wood, you sure do a good job!![thumbzup] So...I guess you don't wanna re-deck all 4 of my trailers huh?:naner:

Man... I can't wait to drive that rascal on the road the first time and show her off!!

Doc has already said when we get it back down here he is gonna send some pics in to the MVPA and Military Vehicles magazines and get them posted.
Also, next year she will make the trip to Kansas City and be on display at the MVPA Convention or my name ain't PapaBear!!:papabear:

goldneagle

Next time I do a wood floor I am sure you'll be able to smell the wood burning and see the fire - I hate working with wood period.

It was all new flooring - I used my da sander with a couple different grits BEFORE installing it and AFTER cutting it - and I am not buying any wood tool chit - period.
Once all the wood was installed and I had the center piece centered and screwed down all the remainder tongue and groove were tightly shoved together for a firm and tight seal - then screwed down - once all done I loaded up the box of da sandpaper and laid my arse on the floor and started from front to back sanding once again - this trailer flooring was not manufactured to be so nit picky on - but I did. And the whole time sanding I had the noxious smell of wood dust and red oak being sanded in my nose and in the air - disgusting smell and made me wanna puke - but I am almost done - what I will not do for my friend.

ANYHOW -Deb helped steer the K to get it out of the way so I could wash and clean up totally under the truck and in front of the garage - those are also those two engine covers with the asbestos on them. Its staying on the covers - Period.

Dug out Debs jeepy and cleaned it up and charging the batteries so I can move the K back into position. The whole time doing this I have a bodacious slab of ribs that marinaded for two days on the grille - see what your missing PB.
Here are some pics: OH by the way - today is the 60th day the K has been at my DZ.View attachment 495082View attachment 495083View attachment 495084View attachment 495085View attachment 495086View attachment 495087View attachment 495088View attachment 495089 Its also the first time the K has been moved since delivery as well - If you look at the day PB dropped it off - the steer tires have not even been moved - DAY ONE -K-18 movement.
I suggested RENTING the unit at Home Depot Tool Rental. Here are some pictures of the equipment:usand.jpg2550.jpg

zout

I sure ain;t wasting my money on rental for wood tool chit either. It is what it is. Besides only a couple folks know but there is sure NWIH I could ever be able to move anything like that around less turn it on - it looks good right where it is - in a picture and not at my house.

Thanks to Ron who was inticed by me with that slab of succulent ribs and sauteed shrimp for chow and a freebie lawn tractor as I replaced mine Saturday with a new one - he pulled the radiator I already had loose and ready to come out and also popped the two pins on the fuel tank - will get these done here in the next week or so. Tank will be epoxy lined after a major cleaning and the radiator WILL NOT be painted when I get it back - I'll do that.

Next week - onto the cab and engine compartment and see just how back I can screw that up - maybe if the humidity is not radical I may get onto sealing that flooring with the floor restore product.
Had two thunderstorms blow through and cleaned out my drive two more times - Sat I had it all cleaned and washed down - IMG_1583.jpgIMG_1584.jpgIMG_1585.jpgIMG_1586.jpgIMG_1587.jpgIMG_1588.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
More outstanding work Commander Warp!!:goodjob:

Tony and I snuck into the terminal this morning and got the engine block stripped down and ready to turn in to the machine shop. The plan is to bore this block .20 over and get a new set of rings for the .20 pistons we have out of the other block...which are in great shape.
The crank and camshaft only need a little polishing to be good as new...no signs of wear anywhere, also all the bearings look like they were never used!!:shock:

I'm hoping to have the engine back together and the tranny re-sealed within the next two weeks.:popcorn:

Looks like this ole girl is on course to a new pampered lifestyle!!:beer:

See what ya think we can do about that wash out problem Bro and I'll bring some fellers and equipment up and make a mass attack.

:tigger:

Last edited:

zout

That is great news on the power plant and best of all to keep the costs down on rebuilding as well.

While Ron and I were sitting during the first rain and he saw I had the drive sparkling clean - watching the yard go into the drive that was clean he says "That would P** me off" - I said "you have no idea" so I shovel the chit back out and no later than an hour it pours again and were sitting in the same spot like da ja vu - he says "Man - that would really P** me off" - I said "you have no idea".

Anyhow - will get the K lowered back down in front of the garage tonight and get working on the engine compartment and see what I can do to get this finished off - radiator and tank go out today for repairs.

zout

The split V windshield center joining bars were like a die cast material and are pretty well toast. I did not want to order anything else till I knew what I needed and where the heck to find the stuff.

Search is over - I have auth to order the two NEW windshield joining bars (called braces ?) with new screws. SO - I will be ordering the windshield seal - crank rebuild assembly & their windshield attachments along with the cowl vent seal & windshield V center bar. This will complete the windshield build when all the parts come in.

I also love it when a plan comes together.

zout

The most phenominal purchase from the bank of PB was the awesome floor paint for the back end. This stuff is incredable. It LOOKS just like Red Oak when its brushed on - It still leaves that stinkin smell of wood when brushed on - and the best part - it brushes on leaving all that laminate showing - just like you could see through it.

roflrofl

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The most phenominal purchase from the bank of PB was the awesome floor paint for the back end. This stuff is incredable. It LOOKS just like Red Oak when its brushed on - It still leaves that stinkin smell of wood when brushed on - and the best part - it brushes on leaving all that laminate showing - just like you could see through it.roflrofl
Hmmmmm.....Maybe that's why when I went to the ATM to get a few dollars for lunch the machine flashed up a "Mister Yuck" face and said "You've GOT to be kidding!!" By the way...the machine ate my card!:whistle:

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Whooo Hooo!!! Block and head turned in to the machine shop along with .20 over pistons. Forget the 2 week goal of having the engine ready though...there are too many customers ahead of me and this is the only machine shop I trust. The manager DID say he would TRY to have it ready within 2 weeks to send back for the build.:doh:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks